Digital Cable question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matthew BW, May 30, 2002.

1. Matthew BW

Matthew BW Stunt Coordinator

I was messing around in the setup menu for my cable box and in the audio section it had options for mono, stereo, and stereo matrix. I picked stereo matrix because the description said this was for hooking up to outside recivers. My question is it also gave me the option of using highly compressed or lightly compressed. It did not give any info on what to choose. Ant ideas? The cable box is a motorola with digital out. My reciever is a keenwood Vr 507.

2. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

Matthew,

The best answer to your questions would probably be to simply try the various options yourself and see what you think.

Stereo Matrix may either enhance the sound a bit (more 3-D in effect) or possibly shift some sound to the rear speakers, if there's a digital sound output capability. This is just guessing. . . Personally I'd be inclined to pick Stereo, and let my receiver/processor do any matrixing.

The highly compressed vs. lightly compressed (is there a no compression option?) is usually for adjusting dynamic range. Highly compressed would add a bit of volume to soft sounds and take some volume away from loud sounds. This can often help with understanding dialog, especially at lower volumes. Lightly compressed would adjust the relative volumes less than highly compressed. When listening at night while people are sleeping in my house, I sometimes use highly compressed. Compression, BTW, is usually only compatible with Dolby encoded signals. . .

3. Matthew BW

Matthew BW Stunt Coordinator

Yes there is a no compression option. I just did not see it before. I will play around with it and see if it makes any difference.

It says to choose stereo for multiple audio track output and to choose Matrix stereo for dynamic audio systems. I am assuming this would mean a reciever capabale of Dolby Digital but I am not sure.