What's new

Digital Cable Question (1 Viewer)

Matthew BW

Stunt Coordinator
I just got digital cable and I have a question. I have a Kenwood VR 507 reciver and the Cable box is a Motorola. I got one with the digital out. My qustion is that because the non premium channels are not in digital I have to keep switching the audio between digital and analog on my reciever. If I leave the reciever set to digital when I go to the lower channels I do not get any sound. I have both digital and analog connected. I s there any way around having to keep switching. Hopefully it won't matter soon because one of the tech's I talked to made mention of charter possibly having digital for the lower channels also in about 3 weeks.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
because the non premium channels are not in digital I have to keep switching the audio between digital and analog on my reciever. If I leave the reciever set to digital when I go to the lower channels I do not get any sound.
I think most receivers and pre/pros work the same way. Once you've assigned a digital input to a source, the analog inputs are ignored.

One workaround is to use two separate inputs for the analog and digital connections and switch between them on your receiver. My personal solution is to watch the analog channels through TiVo and the digital channels through a direct connection from the cable box (assuming, of course, that the digital signal is something more than 2-channel stereo or surround). If you don't have TiVo but there's a VCR in your system, you may want to try something similar.

M.

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
also, my receiver has an "auto" option where it detects what type of signal is coming in (dd or regular etc).

maybe that is an option on your receiver?

Matthew BW

Stunt Coordinator
No unfortunatly mine does not have an auto feature. I guess I will just stick with switching it and see if they really do go all digital.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation615
Recent bookmarks