Digital Cable Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John_E, Jan 15, 2002.

1. John_E

John_E Stunt Coordinator

Oct 4, 2001
    This may be hard to explain, but I'll be brief. I have cable coming into my house that is split 3 ways (Basement, Fam. Rm., & Internet). I am then splitting the family room line and sending a line to the master bedroom upstairs. All analog channels still look great. I noticed no signal loss. However, on about 5 digital channels (Out of 35) the signal frequently drops off or doesn't come on altogether. Would an amplifier help the digital cable channels? If so, which amplifier do you recommend?
  2. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Jul 24, 2000
    I could've sworn I already replied to this post, I wonder if the reply was lost?
    Anyway, I don't know too much about this, but at they have some very good instructions about it.
    I think you should try and replace your 3-way + 2-way spltters with one 4-way or 2 2-way splitters, since this will give less of a signal loss to the family rm/master brm (-7 dB vs -9 dB like you have now). This will increase the signal loss from -5.5 to -7 in the other rooms, but I would try it and see if it works (unless you currently have problems with the -5.5 dB signal loss already, I got the impression you only have the problem with the signal that's been split up twice).
    Anyway, read the PDF document I linked to, they also talk about different cable lenghts and other stuff.