Digital Cable question

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by mike**d, Jun 5, 2004.

1. mike**d

mike**d Auditioning

Hello, I have purchased and Onkyo system a few weeks ago. After realizing that my "digital cable" box had no digital outputs I called up my cable company to ask if they had a better box. They said they had a "dolby digital box". So I got it and have it set up now.

When I go to a digital channel, my receiver swaps to from PCM prologic II to Dolby Digital Prologic II.

The cable box is hooked up with an optical cable. The modes listed in the audeo section of the box's set up are mono, stereo, and matrix stereo. I have played with both the stereo and matrix stereo modes. Sounds the same to me.

Anyway, with digital cable should I expect to be playing in prologic II or should it be Dolby Digital 5.1? IE when I am playing a movie from my DVD the dolby digital light is on and the display is dolby d.

My question is, is this what I should expect to see? Should I be in stereo or matrix stereo on the cable box? What does matrix stereo mean?

Any help or comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Mike

2. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    Have you double checked the settings in your receiver, for the input that the cable box is hooked up to? Has the input has been enabled for digital? Is the receiver set to digital auto?

Not sure about the matrix stereo stuff. I would think that a digital cable box should output a digital signal. Should say something like digital "ON" or "Bitstream", or something similar. Once you're sure the receiver's settings are right, play with the box's settings until you find the right one.

Chances are that the only channels you're going to get in 5.1, are the premium movie channels, or the PPV channels, and not all of them. Most of what you'll watch will probably be in Dolby Pro Logic ll.
    Good luck!

3. mike**d

mike**d Auditioning

Yes, I checked the receiver. It is set for the optical port and on digital auto.

I expected to see something fro digital on or bitstream but, the only choices are the stereo choices that I mentioned earlier.

The thing is that something is different. On my receiver, I have small indications that say Dolby digital, pcm, dts etc... Then the big display also will say Dolby D or Dobly D EX etc...

When I go to a digital channel, it swaps from "pcm" to "dolby digital" but the big display still says Prologic II.

It seems to me, that I am receiving a digital stereo signal on my digital channels, and an anolog stereo signal on the non-digital channels (as expected). So, perhaps, what I have is the best they offer. I have not ordered PPV yet but am assuming they are the same thing.

Guess I need to call the cable company.

Does anybody here have digital cable?

Thanks again for the help!

4. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

This is exactly correct. On some Movie Channels (depends on your provider) they are broadcasting 'some' movies in 5.1 DD. As well stations like HBO will also have 'some' shows broadcast in 5.1 (Sopranos). Most others are Dolby Digital (Pro Logic).

The numbers are increasing all the time (at least with my Cable Co in Western Canada).

I haven't found any difference between Stereo or Matrix Stereo out on my cable box (Motorola 2500 series), so I left it on Stereo. I believe that those configurations are only used by the analog and not the digital output anyway.

5. mike**d

mike**d Auditioning

Thanks Paul. That helps me out a lot!! [​IMG]