What's new

Digital Cable Question (1 Viewer)

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Something wierd just started happening to just one channel on my digital cable. I have a cable splitter with the cable coming into the splitter and three outputs. -4db. -8db and -8db. I am only using the two -8db outs. When the splitter is inline, channel 106 is either blank or has large pixilixed boxes. When I take the splitter out all is fine. This just started happening. Would a signal amplifier fix this issue? What should one look for in a signal amp?

Tim K

Second Unit
try using the -4db output. I believe that this type of splitter has one stronger output and two weaker. The db measurement (I think) is a measure of the signal degradation when using that output. Therefore, the -4db output would have the strongest signal.

The splitter doesn't split it into 3 equal parts. I think it splits the signal in half first. Then it splits one of the halves again. In my case, I want the -4db signal to go to my HT where the HDTV box and big screen is. Stronger signal : better picture. The -8 signals go to my family room and my bedroom where the weaker signal has no impact on my 27" TVs.

Give this a try. Also, make sure you have the appropriate type of splitters. For HD signals I believe you need a 1Ghz splitter.

Tim K

Second Unit
hope that helped...if not you may want to call your cable co to have a tech come out and measure the signal strength coming into your house and inside your house. That could also be the problem.

PaulcM

Auditioning
why is there a 3-way? you stated you are only using two of the ports. put a 2-way in place of the 3. a 2-way loses 3.5 dbmv per port. you can get a 1 ghz splitter at wally world or one of the big box home improvement stores. you would pick up 4.5 dbmv of signal just by changing.

Sam P

Auditioning
The problem also might be the splitter itself. You have to be careful of the frequebcy limits of the splitters. I have Digital cable too, but if I use an old splitter with a lower freq. limit I get weird things happening. I purchased a splitterd from radio shack with a higher Freq. limit that is used for digital Satalite and the problem went away
hope this helps
sam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks