Digital cable problem

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
On every TV in the house, the picture loses detail when there is movement. For example, somebody's face will look completely smooth until the camera settles down, and then the lines and details will pop into place. This happens on other surfaces as well. Is this just something you have to expect with cable? From a distance, it's not that noticeable, but it does add up to a rather bad picture. Fortunately, it doesn't do this on the HD channels.

There are also little grainy things happening all through the picture. Around words, it's almost like edge enhancement with all these little dots.

HardcoreHehaw

Auditioning
Real Name
Evan
I was having a similar problem, mostly the grainy looking picture.
Many HD boxes will make digital cable look worse than a non HD box. The solution for me was to use the HDMI component cables to 1 input source and a regular RF cable to regular cable input. When you want to watch a HD channel switch to the component input, when you want to watch regular Digital switch to the cable input.
Its a little bit of a hassle but it seems to make Non HD digital cable look a little better.
Just a thought.
Good luck.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Sorry, I forgot to look back in this section. You're right, it does look a little better with a cable input vs. HDMI, but it's still not wonderful. What I really hate is, when I use the Guide and it puts the picture in a little window at the top, it looks great. There's something about it stretching the picture out that makes it look so horrible. That wording might make you think I'm using zoom or stretch, but I'm not. I just don't know how else to say it.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaMovieMaestro