Digital Cable Picture Quality: Pixel Focus?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by RickMac, Aug 2, 2003.

1. RickMac

RickMac Auditioning

Hi all,
    I'm new to this forum so, first off, hello everyone.

Just "upgraded" to digital cable so that I could watch soccer and the BBC. While I wasn't necessarily expecting "high res", I certainly didn't expect an out of focus, pixelated picture, especially on fast-moving sports. It's most noticeable on the soccer field. When the camera's panning across, the field's blurry. When it stops, I can see the pixels re-grouping and it comes into focus. Like the focus is lagging behind the action.

Is this normal? Is everyone just putting up with it, or can I correct it with a better cable or something?

Overall, I'd say that my picture quality has gone down after getting the digital, even on analog stations (though I don't notice the pixel-focus thing on analog).

Your help and/or empathy is most appreciated.
    Thanks,
    RickMac

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

You do occasionally see pixelation/blocks with digital, but not as bad as you describe. No, the cable is not the issue. I suspect your digital-cable box has some problems. Call your CATV company to report the problem and get another box.

3. Mark Hedges

Mark Hedges Second Unit

I notice this too and I think it has to do with the degree of compression a channel gets. Some digital channels are compressed much more than others, and the really compressed channels start to look very bad during scenes where there is a lot of movement on the screen.

Mark