Digital cable owners...audio question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Pagac, Dec 20, 2001.

1. Scott Pagac

Scott Pagac Stunt Coordinator

I have a Pioneer digital cable box which offers an optical out for the sudio. Would this provide audio for all programming or will it be used for only a few select channels? I do not have any "premium" channels, but I would like to have the best connection possible between the box and my receiver. I have not tested this because I do not have an extra optical cable nor do I feel like moving my behemoth entertainment center just to swap cables that may or may not do anything. Has anyone else done this and does it work?

--Scott

2. David John

David John Stunt Coordinator

I have a Scientific Atlanta Digi cable box, and some of the channels have Digital Audio, and some of the regular broadcast channels have analog audio.

so I have both the analog and Coax digi connected to my receiver.

The receiver is set to auto detect, so if there is a Digital signal present, it switches to that.

otherwise, it defaults to the analog signal.

I would hook up both, since i'm sure there are some channels that will send analog only.

It's nice when it kicks into Dolby Digital automatically too.

3. Nicholas A. Gallegos

Nicholas A. Gallegos Stunt Coordinator

Hmmm....

I didn't think it would be necessary to have both analog and digital cables connecting the box to the receiver. Dolby Digital should downmix to Dolby Surround 2.0 over a digital connection if a 5.1 soundtrack isn't available. At least that's how it is on DirecTV satellite.....

4. Paul_Dunlop

Paul_Dunlop Second Unit

Hi
    You definitely need to connect both the analog and digital audio.
    When I first got my receiver,I went to re-setup the digital terminal with Digital Coax only - I was afraid that if I connected both, it would always use the analog by default. After 30 minutes of troubleshooting, I found that all 'normal' channels - 3-50 (approx) are analog - they will not work without the analog connection hooked up. All channels above that will automatically kick into digital and you will have Pro Logic at a minimum.
    This IS different than Satellite which provides digital for all channels.
    To receive Dolby Digital, you will need to subscribe to the Movie Channels - about 15 movies per month are broadcast in DD. (hopefully more to come)
    Take it easy
    Paul

5. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Nick,

DirecTV is all digital... cable is not, (unless you subscribe to it) hence the need for both cables.

6. Scott Pagac

Scott Pagac Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the input. Maybe I will run a cable back there the next time I feel like moving things around and see what happens.

7. Jerry AZ

Jerry AZ Stunt Coordinator

I subscribe to Cox Digital cable. Would the output from the box be all digital on this, or a mix? If I'm paying for digital service, seems like I should get the audio with it. yes, I know it is just converting analog cable to digital, but it should do the audio to, yes?

8. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

Luckily in my area Time Warner has put all of the "cable" channels on digital, except for the local channels, so I get sound mostly through the "digital coax" cable, but both cables need to be hooked up.