Digital cable not really digital?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Phil Wyeth, Apr 9, 2002.

1. Phil Wyeth

Phil Wyeth Extra

Newb questions:
    My local cable company (Comcast) uses Motorola units that have no coaxial or optical outputs on the rear of the unit. It just has your traditional component input/outputs. Therefore, how can this be considered digital audio??? On the front of the units is the good ole Dolby trademark symbol. But isn't Dolby a digital audio processing standard? Can a digital signal be transferred via traditional RCA/component hookups. I'm all confused[​IMG]

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

They can call it digital audio if it arrives at your house in that fashion. Your cable company cheaped out when the ybought boxes, you should call up and complain and demand one with coax/optical out.

Actually channels 1-100 are usually analog anyway.

3. Dean Bu

Dean Bu Auditioning

I was also a Comcast customer, in the NJ area, the Motorola boxes they provided did not have a digital out port and as stated by Jeff, channels 0-100 were NOT digital, they were analog. Digital audio cannot be passed through the component ports. Digital cable provided by Comcast is a farce and a waste of money compared to DirecTV. IMHO.

4. PhilH

PhilH Auditioning

I recently had a 30 day free demo of digital cable in my home from Mediacom. I saw nothing that made me want to pay $76.00/month for that crap. I don't watch the movie channels cause they show the same thing over and over and the only real digital channels were mostly those music channels and most of them were some other language.
    Digital cable is a RIPOFF [​IMG]
    Oh, the guy who came by the house told me "Not only do you get the digital cable for 30 days free, you don't even have to pay your regular cable bill for this month!" Well, apparently the cable company didn't agree to that.....till I raised a rucus about it.

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

The terminology gets confusing, because, in the current world of audio/video, "component" generally refers to a specialized type of video connection. I think you're referring to the typical left and right analog stereo connections that are familiar from the pre-digital days.
    A digital coax output uses the same kind of RCA connector as an analog stereo output, but it should be clearly labeled as "digital", "SPDIF" or something similar.
    M.

6. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I had one of these boxes with the DD logo, and I've seen several others, and they all didn't have a DD output. Very annoying, especially when I saw a movie or two on there that specifically stated it was in DD where available. Cheap bastards. Well I got Dish now, and all I can say is its much better in every way than cable.

7. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

8. Phil Wyeth

Phil Wyeth Extra

Thanks dudes[​IMG]
    You confirmed what I thought regarding the analog only box available to me. Now I'm wonderin if I can buy a better digital cable box (through ebay or somewhere) that does have the digital hookups?
    Satellite seems the way to go, digitally speaking atleast. I was consiering it. Unfortunatley I just signed up with comcast at home internet, which I have been begging for for years now. If I am to upgrade my TV signal/format, I'm more locked into going with the dig cable. Thats cause If I went with sat, I would drop my current comcrap cable TV, and inturn they would jack up my cable internet bill (up from the now $40 a month to I believe $70 a month), since then I would no longer be a subscriber. You see, Comcasts subscription format is locking people into staying subscribed to their cable TV, by implementing cable internet before DSL. oh well, I guess its the sacrifice I have to make for my screaming internet connection. BTW, cable internet[​IMG] way over DSL[​IMG] but that argument is a different thread/forum

9. Dean Bu

Dean Bu Auditioning

Phil, I would recommend you double check the surcharge from Comcast to get Cable Internet with no Cable TV subscription. I live in NJ and I do exactly that, I pay a $9.95 surcharge on my Digital Cable because I have no Comcast TV subscription. Comcast may not be consistent with their pricing in all their markets, so obviously your situation may be different than mine. Cable Internet is awesome, but Digital Cable is a ripoff. If your situation is similar, pay the $10 surcharge and keep your rockin' Cable Internet and upgrade your TV to Sat.

10. Robert Cranwell

Robert Cranwell Stunt Coordinator

Dean Bu, Are you still in NJ? If you there are plenty of K-series DCT boxes with s-video and spdif digital audio outputs in NJ, Need one? I wil get you one!

Rob

11. Allan_T

Allan_T Auditioning

Phil: This is just a thought, but have you checked with Comcast about a cable box "upgrade"? I live in a town that also has Comcast Digital service. When I first switched over, I noticed the boxes they provided me with had knockouts for S-Video. When I asked about it, they said S Video boxes were available but the customer had to request them. The price... $0. They ordered 2 for me and within 3 days I took my old boxes and swapped them for new ones. To my surprise, they were also equipped with coax digital ouputs as well. As of yet, I have not seen any programming that is in DD 5.1, but at least I can use the better D/A converters in my Denon.
    Just a thought.
    Allan

12. Dean Bu

Dean Bu Auditioning

Rob, I am running DirecTV in my house exclusively now, but thanks for the offer.