Digital Cable & Home Theater

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChrisMcK, Jan 16, 2003.

1. ChrisMcK

ChrisMcK Stunt Coordinator

With a home theater system combined with digital cable are there any advantages over regular analog cable (ie: sound and picture quality)

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

It depends on what programming and hardware are supplied by your cable company. If the cable company supplies a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal (where available from the broadcast source) and provides a cable box with a digital output, you can receive some programming with 5.1 sound. But every cable company is different.

M.

3. Justin H

Justin H Stunt Coordinator

I would also say that, in general, digital cable will have better picture quality than analog. This was certainly true when I switched from regualr old cable to DirecTV, much better picture.

4. ChrisMcK

ChrisMcK Stunt Coordinator

It's AT&T Broadband in Boston with a Motorola box (not sure of the number)

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

6. Troy Swope

Troy Swope Stunt Coordinator

I know that i have digital cable via time warner here in canton ohio. my box has a coaxial digital out, but there is no source there. i called the cable company and they said oh yeah, to get digital sound, just hook up the rca right and left output to your amplifier... (say what? yeah right, what planet do you live on?)

in other words, my local company (time warner) has no idea what digital sound even is... where do they find these people?

just my .02

7. JohnBMarsz

JohnBMarsz Auditioning

I have Time Warner here in Rochester, NY, and on some of the digital channels, and when I'm watching a movie, I usually get 5.1 surround. If you are watching analog cable (even if it's coming through the digital cable box), it usually will be in Stereo only. It may be different for the Motorola box, but with Time Warner and their SA3100HD box that I have, that's how it works for me.

8. JayDaniel

JayDaniel Stunt Coordinator

Chris - I just recently (Sep. 02) switched to dig. cable. I noticed a significant improvement in my picture. The digital sound is a bonus. The cable co., FREE of charge, rewired my entire house inside w/ RG 6, which probably helped my picture. They said RG 6 was required (as opposed to RG 59) to meet their specs for Dig. cable and high speed internet access.
    Troy - you said:
    [I know that i have digital cable via time warner here in canton ohio. my box has a coaxial digital out, but there is no source there. i called the cable company and they said oh yeah, to get digital sound, just hook up the rca right and left output to your amplifier... (say what? yeah right, what planet do you live on?)]
    For my system, I have to have "both" RCA & Dig. coax cables connected, but it has to do with the manufacturer of my set top box - Scientific Atlanta, not my cable co. If I only hook up the digital coax, I get no sound period. According to Scientific Atlanta's instructions, I must also have the RCA composite audio cable hooked up. For analog channels, the set top box defaults to the composite connection. For digital, it sends the signal thru the dig. coax. I have my receiver set to "auto detect" the signal. As I get into the higher channels (60+), it switches to digital.

9. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Seems to be a lot of poor and misleading information floating around on this thread:

10. Rich Milak

Rich Milak Agent

I live on the Cape and have dig. cable but Att boxes do not have dig. out yet. I have talked to the cable co. and they said they will be getting some, When? Oh and knowing them it will a added charge. They put me on a list so when they get them they will call me.[​IMG]