digital cable/hd questions

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Rick J, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Rick J

Rick J Stunt Coordinator

Just a bit of info...
    I have a Sony hd ready rptv. I recently got digital cable and hd through Charter Communications. I've calibrated with Avia. I also only view in movie or pro modes on the tv. The coax goes into the box and then out to the tv. The cable box is also hooked via the component/audio cables they supplied. Are their cables any good?

Although digital cable and hd look pretty good, could they be better? The analog channels look worse than they used to. When I connect the cable coax directly to the tv(not through the box) they seem to look less grainy. I recall reading somewhere that you should view analog channels via s-video. Is that true? If so, how exactly do I hook it up? Do I leave the cable coax connected as is and just change the tv to that s-video input when viewing an analog channel?

I contacted Charter regarding some of these issues and they are going to send someone out to check things out. What questions should I ask them or what things should I have them check? Should the cable box be set up or outputting a certain way to get the best picture? Anything else?...THANKS!

2. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

For the HD feeds you're only choice is the component cables coming from the set top box. S-video might give you a better picture on the lower analog channels as your TV's comb filter will then kick in....hence your better results running cable straight to the TV. Better component cables than those supplied by the cable company MIGHT make the lower channels better but I'd wait to see what their technician comes up with before investing in them.....who knows, maybe there's adjustments he can make to their equipment.

Mort

3. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Use composite (single RCA) for the analog channels - this will use the TVs comb filter, s-video and component will bypass it. Use the component output only for the HD channels, the box is not good at upconerting the low-res channels so always use the low-res composite output for those.

4. Garrett Adams

Garrett Adams Supporting Actor

I'm on Comcast and use the Motorola DCT5100 box. I hooked it up all three ways: component, S-Video, and RF (through the RF out jack, IOW, not bypassing the box).

My PQ test results were: HD use component and analog use RF. On analog and SD digital the RF beat S-Video. My remote control has a button which allows switches between the two.

I understand that the 6200 series box I'll be getting in Q1 or Q2 has better analog rendition. Time will tell.

5. Rick J

Rick J Stunt Coordinator

Thanks to those responses.

Garrett..

I also have the Motorola 5100. Per the tv manual, I hooked up the coax from the wall to the rf input on the tv. Then, I ran a coax from the "to converter" on the tv to the "cable in" on the box. From there, a coax from the "out" on the box to the "aux" on the tv. Is that correct?

The analog channels look pretty good. When I switch to video 6(component input) on the tv, I get the digital/hd channels and seem to look pretty good also. The problem is when I try to get the "guide" to come up on the screen, it comes up but there's no times or shows listed. What am I missing/not doing?

Also, regarding the 6200 box. I thought I read somewhere in this forum that people were having problems with the picture on that box. Have they corrected the problem(s)? How do you get one? Does the cable service automatically upgrade you or do you have to request one? Thanks! Rick

6. Garrett Adams

Garrett Adams Supporting Actor

Rick,

The RF routing you describe sounds about right from recollection. I've never been able to use that type hookup since I have a large rooftop antenna which uses the RF Ant jack. The cable box RF out goes to the TV Aux jack. My three previous Sony XBR's all had the "to converter" middle RF jack you describe while my current Sony KD-34XBR2 does not.

Regarding the 6200. You misread my post. I said I'll be getting in Q1 or Q2, meaning sometime between today and June 30, 2004. I wish I had one now though!

7. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

Don't listen to the TV manual, don't use the "to converter" from the TV. Problem is that on a lot of TVs the converter out doesn't pass through any signals when the TV is off. This might have worked fine in the old days of dumb analog cable boxes but not with 21st century digital boxes.

The cable box needs to be attached directly to the wall, or to a splitter (preferrably rated to 1Ghz) connected to the wall. (Run other end of splitter to TV). The box populates its guide continually from data coming from the cable, when your TV is off it probably can't get anything hence it is blank for some time.