Digital Cable Box vs. Analog Cable Box

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Norman L, Nov 3, 2002.

1. Norman L

Norman L Second Unit

I have the Toshiba 42HDX82. My cable company is offering Digital cable this month CABLEVISION. Is the picture much better? S-Video , component on the Sony box.
    The new box has digital sound to go through my A/V receiver which is great. Do they broadcast in 5.1?

2. Norman L

Norman L Second Unit

Correction: It does not have component video.

3. MikeHerbst

MikeHerbst Stunt Coordinator

It depends a little bit on the age/quality of the cable plant you're on now.

I live in a fairly new neighborhood, and the cable system is only a few years old. There's a very SMALL difference in PQ from Analog to Digital here.

If you live in an older neighborhood where the plant is significantly degraded, you might see some improvement since a DOCSIS style digital box can exist happily even with degraded signal levels.

As for sound, on digital channels, there is SOMETIMES a 5.1 or other "improved" audio transmission, but most of the time its plain old stereo. To further confuse things, some cable operators will only output digital audio on the "digital" channels (i.e. the channels you can't get without a digital box), and only output analog on the "basic" cable channels, even through they're being transmitted digitally also. Wierd.

In my mind, the decision for Digital vs. Analog came down to programming. I pay the significant fees for digital cable (and leases for 3 digital boxes) so I can get/watch the Speed Channel and a few movie channels that aren't otherwise available. Originally, if I could have had the old Speedvision on analog cable, we probably never would have got digital.