Digital cable box to HK AVR 525

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eduardo Martinez, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Eduardo Martinez

Can I connect a digital cable box to this receiver? How? I received it this week and the manual does not explain.

Thanks,
    Eduardo

2. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

Check on the back of the cable box. See if it mentions Digital out on any of the outputs.

Mostly, the digital out is done over either optical (which looks like a strangely shaped red button outlined in a black suare) or coaxial (which looks like a single RCA cable -- and is, pretty much). Hook whichever one matches up to your receiver.

That SHOULD give you digital audio, assuming your cable box has digital out.

3. Greg Kolinski

Greg Kolinski Second Unit

On my 520 I run the cable/satellite box optical out, to the receiver

4. Eduardo Martinez

Thanks Brian and Greg:

Where in my receiver? I think there is nothing identified as Cable TV.

Eduardo

5. Jeffrey R

Jeffrey R Stunt Coordinator

If you want to connect the Digital Cable box to the 520 using a digital cable, you have to connect an optical or coaxial digital cable from your cable box into a digital input on your 520. Nothing is labeled "cable tv" on the 520. Then you have to go into the setup on the 520 to assign the inputs correctly, just like for any other input like a DVD player or CD player. This is simplified, but the bottom line is, it is definitely doable and there is no "cable tv" input on the 520. Just use any available digital input and assign it correctly.

6. Eduardo Martinez

Thanks, Jeffrey:

Now it is clear to me.

Eduardo

7. Greg Kolinski

Greg Kolinski Second Unit

ED, I've got mine run to video 3, I was unsure also on setup,cked the"great"manual,and noticed on the remote that under video 3 it said something about tv/cable .Ck your remote for the exact term.But that's how I did it.

Greg