Digital Cable box problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Doug Smith, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Doug Smith

Doug Smith Second Unit

I recently purchased one of Shaw's digital HDTV cable boxes (the Motorola 5100). I have a Toshiba 57" HDTV and everything works fine (except there are only three HDTV channels as yet). However I am noticing that when I switch to some channels the hue is red, while on others it looks washed out. I am wondering if this is a cable problem? The TV was set up using the Avia DVD disc, and for DVD's looks fantastic. The HDTV channels look fantastic.

2. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Supporting Actor

Doug,

I don't know what model Tosh you have, but the settings on my 65H80 are input specific. You may have calibrated your dvd input w/ Avia, but you'll notice they will change when you switch it back to the input used for you cable box. I tweaked my TV w/ Avia for the dvd input and then made my tuner settings match the dvd input settings. That was my starting point and then I tweaked for preference until my most watched channles looked ok.

If I'm covering ground you already know, then don't sweat it. Once you calibrate it correctly, you'll still notice big differences from channel to channel. That's not your TV, it's cable. Every station is tweaked a little differently at its source and there's nothing you can do about that.

Use Avia, set it once, and just realize that cable is far from perfect. Hope this helps.

BTW, how do you like the 5100? My understanding is the 5200 coming up will be like the 5100, but add PVR functionality to it. I sure wish someone would make an HDTV cable box that did OTA High Def. Should be interesting to see.

Peace,

DM

3. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

Doug, when did Shaw start offering HDTV channels (what are the 3) on the Lower Mainland. Here in the sticks (Interior) there is no word on it??

4. Doug Smith

Doug Smith Second Unit

Shaw has only had the box out for a couple of months. There was a big spread in the local Sun newpaper. I actually had the box before it was advertised. The three high def channels are a mish mash (is that a word?) Channel 136 is a throwtogether of whatever high def is coming down the pip at that time (Shaw controls.) channel 138 and 139 are the NBC and CBS high def channels. The nice part is that yiou can watch some programming early on ch. 136 (from the eastern time zone I guess). It was nice in that I got to watch the superbowl in high def - with the American commercials. Unfortunatly Shaw is only offering this in the greater Vancouver and Calgary areas at present.

5. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

Thanks for the heads up on the programming. Does your Toshiba have DVI - the 57HDX unit? How is the Set Top Box connected to it?

I notice great differences between channels with 'standard' Digital Cable as well, so I have to agree with Dave that it is the programming source. His suggestion about calibrating the DVD section and transferring it to the other sources also is the recommendation of Sound & Vision Mag.

6. Doug Smith

Doug Smith Second Unit

Yeah I've got the 57HDX model with the DVI. However the connection from the cable box to the TV is by component jacks. In fact there is not DVI oupu from the box - firewire and an ouput for a computer (the name escapes me). This kind of worries me, but I figure if Shaw is selling the box, and they're the cable deliverer, then I guess its their responsiblity down the road.

7. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

8. Doug Smith

Doug Smith Second Unit

Thanks for the heads up. I bought this thing a while back and even I was impressed reading the specs. Now I know why my friend was whining about the fact anything from channel 1 to 59 was strictly analog on is older model non-HDTV box, wheras this unit converts the analog to digital. I guess he had a point after all. Looks like getting a DVI jack in the future shouldn't be too big of a problem.