What's new

Digital Cable Box --> Digital Coax output (1 Viewer)

RomanV

Auditioning
Has anyone here tried hooking up their digital cable via digital coax to their reciever?

I tried this and it works great but only for channels 100+ (digital channels)... no sound comes from the 1-99 channels.. to use those i have to use analog. I even called the cable company and they came and said that was normal.

Is there anything that can be done?

Cable Company Info:
Time Warner Cable, San Diego, CA

My Hardware:
Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 Digital Cable Box
Onkyo TXSR500 Reciever
JBL S310 Speakers
JBL S-CENTER center channel

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
To get better answers, you may want to include:

Your location

Name of your cable company

:)

keithVANhorn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin Steinmetz
Can't help with the problem, but at least you get a digital output. I have a digital Cable box, and it only has analog out. Realy sux.

Kevin-L

Grip
With all of those cable boxes you have to run normal audio cables as well. Ive done many many installs and found that out the first day.

MikeMcGrew

Stunt Coordinator
The way I understand Time Warner boxes, the channels above 100 are the "digital" signal channels. Anything below that is not a "digital" signal. I have the same box and the same situation. My receiver does not auto detect these diferences either so it is really a pain in the butt. Does anyone know which receivers will auto detect these signal diferences and switch them for you?

RomanV

Auditioning
Mike, Your reciever would have to listen in on both analog and digital. Since the analog input would *always* have sound coming in, the reciever would somehow have to know to switch to digital only when there is a digital signal.

I guess i'm sticking with Analog :frowning:

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
I setup two different inputs on my processor, one with audio from the digital coax out on the digital cable box, the other using the analog output. Both inputs are configured to use the same S-vid jack on the rear of my processor (from the dig cable box).

Not elegant, but I can easily jump to using the digital audio connection when I'm on a channel >100.

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
Running a Onkyo 600 and have the 2 Time Warner Boxes. 1 is the digital cable box, the second is the High Def box. There are 9 High Def channels I get, and with those I get to use the Coax Digital line from the HD Box.

I have an S-video line and the 2 analog audio lines going from the Digital box into the reciever and I have the component set from the HD BOX with 1 Digital Coax Line going into the back of the reciever

to watch normal cable I'm on Video 1 (On the 47" Panny) and have the audi input configured to --- (This is analog). Then to watchone of the HD Channels and get it in Dolby Digital, I go to the channel on the digital box, switch my TV to Component 1, then switch my audio input configuration to Coax.

Pain in the ass, yes. Worth it? not sure yet.

RomanV

Auditioning
I just played with my Onkyo 500 and actually it does autodetect the digital signal. I have both the digital coax hooked up to the "Digital" input and the analog hooked into the video 1 analog input, and depending on the channel that the cable box is on, the reciever will switch modes, between Dolby Digital, and not.

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
Roman -
I looked on my reciever for that function yet was not able to set it up succesfully. Did your's automatically switch without you have to set something up the the setup menu?

I still have to switch mine everytime I go from the HD to the S-video.

RomanV

Auditioning
Yah theres no real setting. I just set my Video1 for Digital Coax... but when theres no digital signal it automatically looks for an analog signal. Pretty cool stuff.

MikeMcGrew

Stunt Coordinator
I'm considering the H/K 525. Does anyone know if this receiver will auto detect like the Onkyo mentioned above? This is kind of becoming an important feature to me. Everytime I watch something on HBO, or other channels, I have to select a digital signal on my receiver. This isn't really that much of a hassel but my girlfriend is kind of, well, simple and I would like for her to be getting the best sound quality out of her programming but she is not interested in learning how to do this. It would be nice for her. Thanks. MM

Jose T

Stunt Coordinator
Not real sure about the H/K 525 but I know the Yamaha's have this function. Check them out to !!!!

Users who are viewing this thread