Digital Cable being forced on me!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JeffWilson, Jun 26, 2002.

1. JeffWilson

JeffWilson Agent

I have Time Warner cable in NJ and they just announced that they are removing several channels (i.e. HBO 2) because they "no longer have room". I asked what they meant I was told that the rep didnt know. I DO know that the channel that I pay for is going away and will NOT be replaced with anything on the analog system, but will, of course, be available for digital subscribers.

I am not yet ready to get DTV and want to wait until I hear better things. But it seems as thought TW is forcing people by moving more and more things to digital only and not reimbursing customers for their lost service. Being that cable has this monopoly of service, what can I do, except get a dish? Is there a NJ state or federal agency that can be written to? I wish I could just switch to Cablevision, but that is not an option due to the above mentioned monopoly.

Any suggestions? Thanks very much in advance.

Jeff

2. Michael St. Clair

The good news is that Warner Digital picture quality is typically better than small-dish satellite.
    The bad news is that analog cable is moving towards a home for locals, espn, news, and shopping channels.
    Though they aren't really a monopoly since you can go satellite...which you'll find to be right around the same price as digital cable...

3. JeffWilson

JeffWilson Agent

Michael

Am I right in thinking that Digital cable is, in many cases, not really digital. They are analog signals on most channels. What about DirectTV? Is that all digital? THanks

Jeff

4. Michael St. Clair

5. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Jeff, I do know that Time-Warner has recently agreed to carry up to 5 hi-def channels on their cable systems. This could have something to do with your system's shuffle? Maybe things are changing for the better? I have nothing to look forward to here as far as hi-def cable service is concerned because Crumcast is the provider here. I'm moving soon and hope to get satelite at my new abode. Crumcast is dedicated to mediocre pic quality and abundant shopping channels and won't willingly join the hi-def cable aggreement. About a half dozen of the major providers are in on the aggreement that T-W is in on. Best wishes!