Digital Bits : SE Rumor Mill info..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, Jan 24, 2002.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

For those who didn't spot this, some questions...
    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html for the actual article in question. Sorry again Bill! See explination below.
    First and foremost, Back To the Future. Does this mean that all THREE are going to be Special Edition treatments? Thank god if true [​IMG]. And correct me if I'm wrong, but dosn't my current libraries Spaceballs DVD say Special Edition on it? If so, why would they be re-releasing it?
    Maby for a better commentary peice, heh. Poor Mel Brooks dosn't sound so quick witted in his old age. Either that, or they caught him on a bad day.

2. Prentice Cotham

Prentice Cotham Supporting Actor

Neil,

You might want to edit your post w/ a link to the info rather than copying the text. It's not really fair to Bill Hunt of the Digital Bits that his text appears here in whole.

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Neil,

Please include a link to Digital Bits and not the whole printed text. Thank you.

Crawdaddy

4. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

A re-release of Spaceballs would be welcome, if only because the original release was so awful. Not only was it a shoddy non-anamorphic transfer, it was in the wrong aspect ratio. As for Brooks, the man seems incapable of recording a decent commentary track (listen to Young Frankenstein), so unless he's teamed with cast memebers, MGM shouldn't bother getting him to have another go.

5. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Crap, sorry about that guys. I did credit his site for the article in the topic, but I should have included a link to it as well. I just figured that everyone here visited the site on more than one occasion like I do, so they would instantly know what I was talking about.
    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html Should help redeem myself. [​IMG]

6. Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne Supporting Actor

Shame that the TRUE LIES: FIVE STAR EDITION has reportedly been pushed back because of the September 11th attacks. (This doesn't rank up there with the other effects of that rotten day, I'll grant you, but we are discussing software here). I'm looking forward to purchasing that disc whenever it comes out.

7. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I agree about True Lies; there is no good reason not to release this. If some people are "sensitive" about this movie, they shouldn't watch or purchase it. Besides, it's already available anyway - and it badly needs a re-release!

8. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

I'm hyped up for One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest SE. I've held off buying the current version.
    Thankfully I've had Jedi-like patience.
    [​IMG]

9. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

Count me in for:

Amadeus
    Bottle Rocket:CC (if true)
    The Royal Tenenbaums:CC (if true)
    Glengarry Glen Ross

10. Guy_K

Guy_K Second Unit

Count me in for most of those titles

11. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

12. MaxY

MaxY Guest

Hey Guys,

Give Fox a Break on the True Lies thing. I mean think about this a bit...

Sure it might not deter you from running right out and buying it but Fox is in the "Business" of making money and the bang. blast blow'em up market is a little down right now. Most of a DVD releases money is made in the period of time just after release. So they are just waiting for a time when the market is up to release the SE of True Lies.

Hey I am right there with you buying an anamorphic transfer with DTS of True Lies, but Fox needs to make Money on it too.

Max

13. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

MaxY, do you have any evidence to support that claim or is it just speculation? I don't doubt it's true, but I was just wondering if you knew something specific about "blow 'em up" movies selling less successfully on DVD nowadays.

14. Mike St.Louis

Mike St.Louis Supporting Actor

At last!!

"Glengarry Glen Ross".

15. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

Holy smokes! What an expensive year 2k2 is going to be!
    Just added the vast majority of those titles to my "to buy" list.
    Better start saving. [​IMG]

16. MaxY

MaxY Guest

Luke,

It seems to be something that the media is currently claiming and I am inclined to believe them right now as I have seen several people express this type of sentiment to me when discussing movie and video selections.

Max

17. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

I did read that sales of The Siege DTS did rise after the attacks, as well as Independence day aso. (sorry, can't provide links to back up claim) but I would think it is not so much fear of bad sales of the True lies DVD, as the majority of people who would buy this disc would buy it anyway. I think it is more fear of the badwill it might carry if people get an impression it is in bad taste to release such a movie at this time, in order to cash in or something. Thus, True lies itselg might not suffer in sales, but maybe they fear sales of Fox product overall?

Just speculating, of course. For the record, I am one of the people that would buy it anyway, but then again this disaster did not affect me as much as the average American I guess.

18. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

That is without a doubt one of the most exciting "Rumour Mill" lists I've seen in some time! I love how Criterion is getting to handle all of Wes Anderson's flicks. VERY cool!
    [​IMG]

19. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

20. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Has anyone heard if Fox planned on a DTS track for True Lies?