Digital Bits Reports: APPLE joins Blu-Ray. Brace yourself for a format war!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    The Digital Bits is reporting this morning
    Apple has become the latest member of the
    Blu-Ray group.

While I certainly welcome the addition of
    Apple as a supporter of this format, I was
    rather saddened to read the following:

For the past two years forums like ours
    have been pleading with the studios to get
    their act together and support ONE format.

The fact that studio support seems to be
    split right down the line between two separate
    formats is only going to mean catastrophe
    for consumers.

Since most consumers will not be able to
    afford the purchase of two separate players,
    which format do we support?

The absolute greed of studios and manufacturers
    to be the dominant players in the next High
    Definition format is going to hurt consumers
    in a big way.

I'm disgusted.

2. Shane D

Shane D Supporting Actor

i think if sony gets out the playstation3 sooner rather than later, most people will go that route, and the war will be over.

3. Bill>Moore

Bill>Moore Second Unit

Ugghh! I hate format wars. The end result of this split will probably be that I'll hold off on buying any hardware or discs for either Blu-Ray or HD-DVD until it looks like there will be a clear winner. Most people I know are saying the same things. So, by not coming together on a single format, they are going to be losing more early sales than they would otherwise.

4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

As an early adopter for dvd format back in 1997, I won't be purchasing either player until the winner of this upcoming format war is declared.

Crawdaddy

5. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

Yep, I agree Bill. I can't see how the Hollywood industry can let this happen since it seems that everything they do is controlled by the dollar (well.....what industry isn't LOL [​IMG] ). I see them losing a lot of money with this. I was REALLY looking foward to finaly getting true High Def DVD's but like you said.....I'm going to wait this one out until a clear cut "winner" comes out. Unfortunately....that may be a LOOOONG time. The only good thing is that prices may drop on these formats at an alarming rate with such direct competition.

6. Will_B

Will_B Producer

I'll just buy a multiformat player and not care.

For music, I have a Pioneer DV-563A, which plays both SACD and DVDA. Surely there will be machines which play both BluRay Disc and HDDVD.

...And the idea that a store would decide not to carry films by a particular studio is not realistic. Sounds like PR propaganda from one side or the other.

7. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    The first format that decides it will allow full HD resolution via analog component connections (instead of just HDMI or DVI/HDCP) would get the support of a lot of current HDTV owners.

But if the studios remain split and release content solely on one format I'd rather see consumers boycott them all to force a compromise, unless truly functional multi-players are available in short order, and that's not very likely.

8. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

What makes you think that such a machine will exist, especially, during the early stage? There is more money to be made in this arena then music so I don't expect either side to license out their hardware for a multiformat player. At least, not on the beginning.

9. Vader

Vader Supporting Actor

Derek
    For the record, I am in the Blu-ray camp. That being said, unless support for full-bandwidth HD video over component (as opposed to this DVI-only nonsense) is supported (and I'm sure I'm not alone), I'm quite content sticking with SD. Even on a 65" screen (I know it's dwarfed by many here), I think 480p can look fantastic if done right. Not to beat a dead horse, but I would wager that those on a budget FAR, FAR outnumber those who can upgrade their displays on a whim. On the other hand, I am ready for the new uncompressed sound formats... :)

10. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

You are going to be waiting for a LONG time than. This a TOTALY different situation than DVD-A and SACD. These are essentially the same format (meaning hi res dvd) but the actual product and the way it will be implemented is totaly different. I think everything including the lasers that read the product are total oposites. This isn't like buying a VCR/DVD combo. I will be SHOCKED if you ever see one machine that would do both. It may happen but by that time the next best thing will be out. I almost see one format just losing and the other buying out the other...if that's possible. Or the studios just jumping ship at at some point.

11. Chris Wagner

Chris Wagner Stunt Coordinator

This standing on the side lines, "waiting on a winner" stuff is pissing me off.
    Why let someone else decide what's best for you?
    Do your research and when the time comes, pick a side and stick with it.
    I feel we especially, as vocal HTF members, should not sit idley by and wait for something to be given to us.
    I already have too much invested in this hobby not to be heard when I clearly have the option to make a difference.
    This "format war" is all politics.
    Vote with your wallet, and a winner will be determined sooner rather than later.
    I plan to jump right in and support "my team", as for the other team, if something comes out that I must have, there will always be a standard DVD release.

12. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    And the battle begins. Somehow this feels like the moment Gandalf stands and looks across the darkness towards the lights of Mordor and says the battle of our time has begun.

I, for one, will play the great waiting game and choose the winner.

13. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

And if market forces drive things the other way? You'll be investing in a very heavy paperweight... or a light boat anchor.

Thanks, but no thanks. I'll wait.

-Scott

14. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

That is a good point Chris and I certainly respect your thoughts but to be quite honest money is a big issue with me. I am sure these units are going to be quite expensive and I just don't feel comfortable shelling out a lot of money for something when a lot of titles that not only am I interested in right now but down the road will not be offered for my unit.
    In reality there is still so many unknowns on what the future is with these formats for me to make a decision. Maybe I shouldn't say "I am waiting for a winner". Instead I should say.....I am going to wait for the future to become more clear. [​IMG].

With that said....I hope Blu-Ray wins......LOL[​IMG]

15. Vader

Vader Supporting Actor

Derek

I am voting with my wallet -- I am not going to upgrade my (1 year old) RPTV for at least 5 years (unless it breaks, of course), so which ever format realizes that they are shooting themselves in the financial foot with this DVI-only crap, and decides not to screw over the millions of early-adopters w/out DVI, gets my dollars...

If the format war is still going on when I do upgrade (by necessity, and budget allowing), I will jump onboard just as I did for SD (hopefully on the Blu-ray team).

16. Hartwig Hanser

Hartwig Hanser Second Unit

for me it solely depends on the contents. None of the titles announced so far for high definition DVD would be reason for me to buy a new player, but there are some titles that would be, if properly done: Lawrence of Arabia, Star Wars, LOTR among them.
    And even if it should be that I invest in a dying format, I then still would probably have a better DVD player.

17. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

LOL Excellent post Neil!! This being one of the first times I am getting involved on the HT Software forum....I hope this thread stays on track. I want to learn as much as I can about this topic.

18. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

Warner, Universal, Paramount, and New Line

New Line is owned by Warner, seems like a redundant addition. It's like saying Disney, Touchstone, Hollywood Pictures and Miramax are leaning towards Blu-Ray. Same company, no?

19. Reagan

Reagan Supporting Actor

Reagan
    I won't be a pawn in this war. I'll buy in when there's one HD format standing. And yes, I'll hold my ground even when ________ (insert favorite movie here) comes out on one of the formats during the war.

BTW, Roger Ebert mentioned the upcoming format war today in his Robots review.

-Reagan

20. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

The absolute greed of studios and manufacturers
    to be the dominant players in the next High
    Definition format is going to hurt consumers
    in a big way.

I'm disgusted.

You know, I'm not disgusted. Love it or hate it, this is a (largely) free-market economy and if 10 formats want to duke it out for supremacy, so be it. Competition has almost always been a healthy ingredient in the economic mix -- the video game industry is a perfect example.

So let the formats fight it out. Let them slash prices and beef up bonus features and release a large library of software to try to woo one side or the other.