What's new

Digital Bits interviews Buena Vista's Senior VP of Worldwide DVD Production (1 Viewer)

paul o'donnell

Second Unit
Wow, and you always figure not much will happen if you stop reading the forum for a few days.
:angry: The apathy being shown towards the consumer is awful, but when profits are made through consumer ignorance, education isn't economically viable. :angry:

Jon_W

Stunt Coordinator
I think Ron is probably right in saying that the big retail chains bear some responsibility for this mess,but aren't they simply responding to cosumer complaints, just like the studios? I really feel it is up to the studios to take a stand. The studios do have the power. Just look at how blockbuster backed off the whole rental window thing when Warner stood up to them. If the studios don't produce pan & scan titles then no one can buy or sell them.

I do have to say that I am impressed with the continued stand we are all taking on this issue, especially Ron's commitment. I have been loyal readers of both dvdfile.com and thedigitalbits.com since 1998 and I am not impressed with their editorial pressure on the studios. I think they really need to kick some life into this situation. Simply saying you know our position on this subject will not do much. If thedigitalbits can spear head the Star Wars campaign then certainly they can be a little more forceful in this problem. I am confident neither site had changed their position but lets hear some yelling.

Wil_J

Stunt Coordinator
Here is a link to the Wal-Mart Web site with loads of Contact information on it.
Click here
If you navigate around, it even provides you with the names of all the Senior Officers in the different Wal-Mart Divisions.
Is this the contact info we need?........Wil
P.S. Here is the link to the list of Senior Officers names & departments that they are the head of.

Rod Martin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rod
I want a list.

I want a list of 10-30 titles that Wal-mart carries that are available in OAR, but Wal-Mart ONLY sells in P&S format.

I will go to Wal-Mart, grab ALL those titles and go to the checkout. I will then tell them I want to buy these, but cannot find the widescreen versions. When I am told I cannot buy them here, I will ask to speak to a manager, complain that I can't buy widescreen and then leave, leaving them to reshelve 30 unsold DVD titles.

I think if enough people do this, we might start to make a dent.

Wil_J

Stunt Coordinator
Cats & Dogs, as well as Willy Wonka come to mind (I was just there yesterday). I don't know if the ONLY sell the P&S version, but when I asked the sales rep he said "nope, doesn't look like it, sorry" and then walked off.

James Reader

Screenwriter
Well done Ron for standing up for OAR!
To be fair to the Chris Carey on the Digital Bits web site interview - he doesn't make the decisions, he can - after all - only do what he is told to do. *shrugs* Seems like we are shooting the messenger to me if we criticise his comment too much.
We all know the common sense approach is to release duel format discs, or two disc sets (like 'Shrek'). I don't see why, if space is a problem on DVD9 discs the pan and scan version cannot be encoded at a lower bit rate. After all, 'research' shows that people are watching on smaller televisions and are unlikely to notice the deficiencies. (This is not a dig at those customers – I myself have a relatively small screen and find it hard to spot inadequacies on many transfers that have been generally reviewed as poor.)
The problem is the studios see this a too much trouble and expense.
Here is my solution.
If Disney (or for that, any other publisher) doesn't think that it is financially viable to release a Widescreen version of the film at the same time as a Pan & Scan version, then why can't they licence out the title. Any 'special features' on the studio disc can also be licensed. Ideally, the studio and licensed release would street the same day - hopefully the Studio would give enough notice for the company producing the licensed disc to produce their own features.
This is, of course, especially true for catalogue releases. I'm sure that there are a huge number of films with laserdisc supplements that could be ported over onto a OAR, licensed DVD.
This should keep everyone happy - companies like Image, Criterion and Pioneer get to make money, companies like Disney get to release the disc that they want to release, without having to trouble themselves with multiple SKUs and we, the customers get the choice of buying the film how we want to see the film.
:thumbsdown: But the studios are too greedy to allow this. We all know how hard it is for Criterion to licence the majority of titles they released on laserdisc, and I understand Image are having the same problem. Basically the studios want us to buy their product, how they want it, and at the minimum expense to themselves. And then, to add insult to injury they won't allow a third party to pay them to release the OAR version, because despite their protests about how unpopular the 'black bars' are they know such a release would substantially eat into their sales.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
If Wal-Mart is really putting pressure on studios for this, what other retailers need to do is put the opposite pressure on them. Best Buy, Circuit City and other stores that are mainly electronics retailers that also carry DVDs should demand 16x9-enhanced discs since those would encourage more sales of widescreen TVs, plus being electronics stores their primary clientele would be assumed to be more educated than those at Wal-Mart.

BTW I've noticed Fry's almost ALWAYS carries ONLY the widescreen version if it is released separately both ways.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Bill, on one hand I'm glad you're doing these interviews, but on the other hand you have realize the utter pointlessness of it (aside from getting hits). If Mr. Carey is gonna throw out disc art as a reason they can't be a responsible company, well, it's obvious the war with these idiots is lost. He can talk about loss of quality all he wants, but I think most of us own a decent number of titles that are P&S on one side and OAR on the other, and we are more than happy with them in terms of quality. Also, Bill, I know that these interviews are mainly focused on OAR vs P&S, but maybe you could ask the marketing guy about Song of the South? :D

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Via some internet searching, I've compiled the following contact information for some of the big retailers. Most are directly from each respective retailer's website, so it should be pretty accurate, though obviously I cannot guarantee this 100%. Apparently Wal-Mart is big enough in Bentonville to not need a street or PO Box address. Their address is as given on their website.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. / Sam’s Club
Bentonville, Arkansas 72716-8611
Don Harris, Executive VP, General Merchandise - Wal-Mart Stores
Phil Sutterfield, Executive VP, Merchandising - Sam’s Club
Our Customer Relations phone number is (800) WAL-MART or (800) 925-6278.
On-Line feedback form: http://www.walmartstores.com/wmstore...OnlineForm.jsp
Kmart Corporation
3100 West Big Beaver Road
Troy, MI 48084-3163
Attn. Customer Service
Fax 248-637-6611
Phone 1-866-24-kmart (1-866-245-6278)
We are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to serve you. If you wish to speak with a Kmart Customer Service Representative please dial the number listed above and press option 1 (one).
On-Line feedback form available at Link Removed
Click on "Help" at top right, then scroll to bottom to "Contact Us" and select "Kmart Corporation & Store Feedback."
Costco Wholesale
PO Box 34331
Issaquah, WA 98027
Member Services: 800-774-2678
On-Line Feedback form: http://www.costco.com/frameset.asp?t...o%2Easp &log=
Note: Do not select subject “Warehouse Questions or Product Information” as you will get a standard response to “please check with the manager of your local warehouse.”
Target Stores
33 South Sixth Street
Minneapolis, MN 55402
1-800-440-0680 (Mo-Fr, 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. CT)
On-Line Feedback Form:
http://www.targetcorp.com/targetcorp..._general.jhtml
Best Buy
Consumer Relations
PO Box 9312
Minneapolis, MN 55440
For telephone assistance, call Consumer Relations at 1-888-BESTBUY (1-888-237-8289).
On-Line Feedback Form:
http://www.bestbuy.com/infoCenter/Co.../CRGeneral.asp
Circuit City
9950 Mayland Drive
Richmond, Virginia 23233
You may call us toll-free at (877) 932-2225. Customer Service Representatives are available anytime Monday through Saturday, from 9am-9pm (EST) or Sunday from 11am -7pm.
On-Line Feedback Form: http://www.circuitcity.com/ewebIMa/f...p+%26+Services
Click "Contact Us"
Blockbuster, Inc.
1201 Elm Street
Dallas, Texas 75270
Or you may contact our dedicated customer support staff via telephone at 1-972-683-5959 Monday - Friday: 8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. CST
On-Line feedback form: http://www.blockbuster.com/bb/about/...T-ABT,00.html?
Hollywood Video
9275 SW Peyton Lane
Wilsonville, OR 97070
Customer Relations
E-mail: [email protected]
Phone: 1-8SPEAK-TO-US (1-877-325-8687)
Movie Gallery, Inc.
900 West Main Street
Dothan, Alabama 36301
Fax: (334) 677-1169
To register a comment regarding any one of our nationwide locations, email [email protected] or call 1-800-472-2494.
From the Movie Gallery FAQ:
What does Widescreen mean?
Studios may release films on VHS and/or DVD in several styles, including Widescreen (AKA Letterbox) and Pan-and-Scan. Widescreen films are recorded and played back with the same aspect ratio used for the theatrical print. This means you will view the full width of each scene as the director intended, but with the "black bars" running across the top and bottom of your television screen. Pan-and-Scan video means the aspect ratio has been adjusted so the picture will fill the entire screen of your television, however you are unable to view the entire scope of each scene.
I think it would be useful to be sure to include the 16:9 HDTV issues as well. Most of these retailers either sell these sets now, or likely will in the future, so they need to be reminded that P&S discs sold now will have "black bars" or horrible distortion on these sets and may cut into future sales of these big-ticket items.
I am trying to compile a similar list for HDTV manufacturers who should also be made aware of potential impacts to their future sales.

Jeremy Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I sent Wal-Mart a message. Thanks also to Ron for refusing to speak with Disney. That had to really tick them off. They have to realize that DVD is an extension of Laserdisc, not VHS. I'm glad Joe Sixpack enjoys DVD, but not at the expense of what DVD is all about. DVD is not a prettied up video tape. DVD is the finest format for motion pictures and should be treated as such. That means OAR and as many extras as possible. That's what laserdisc was all about and that's what DVD should continue to be about. They're still making VHS for Joe.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
Just look at the Columbia petition. Wonka had over 10,000 signatures and the Columbia petition has just over 3000, and we're talking about a company policy and not a single title. Regretably, people on this forum pick & choose the titles they will fight for. We all need to stick together whatever the title or studio.
I think petitions are much less effective then directly calling and mailing companies. Look at how quickly Disney took notice when we directly called and e-mailed them in great numbers. Petitions are easily ignored, but floods of calls and mails to Customer Service departments are not.

I also believe that we should pick single studio/retailer to concentrate our efforts on for given periods of time. (ie Disney now, Columbia once we have gotten Disney's attention, then Wal-Mart once we have gotten Columbia's attention, ect.) I think concentrated efforts one company at a time will be more effective than scattering our resources towards a greater number of weaker campaigns.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
Another one? I didn't realize we did one already. :confused:
If I remeber correctly, DVDFile and theDigitalBits bought a full page ad. in Variety a couple of years ago. it was directed at Lucas in an effort to get Star Wars onto DVD before 2006. Maybe it was a different publication, or maybe I am delusional. In any case, that's what it was in reference to.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Marc:
I know Lucas and a bunch of his director buddies are pushing for more Artist's Rights over their works. You'll notice that TPM, a Lucasfilm release, was widescreen only.:)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

ATTENTION AGAIN PLEASE

Would someone do me a favor?
Gather up all the contact phone numbers,
email and snail mail addresses for all the
companies we need to contact.
Most of the information is posted here
but it is easier for me to cut & paste if
someone gathers it up and sends it to me
all in one email.
The big article will be up next week and
I want to add information on how members can
contact stores like WALMART and so on.
Anybody that needs to be contacted, I need
complete contact information for.
Send it to:
[email protected]
I'll make sure to compile and post the information
so it can easily be read by all members and that
we can start making some noise next week and
thereafter.
PAN & SCAN RELEASES MUST CEASE NOW!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
How about we - the HTF - do a full-page ad in Variety ourselves?

Do the donation-via-PayPal thing again, just like we did for the server. This is IMPORTANT!

I volunteer to contact Variety and get costs and so forth together...it might take a couple of days but I'll do it, if there's an iota of interest here for this.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Woah, David, what a GREAT idea!

We can all donate for the ad.

When you get the rates, I'll put up an

announcement for the donation drive.

I think we can raise the money.

When we have this all together, we will elect

someone in this forum to write up what needs

to go in the ad itself.

This is a GREAT idea!

Mike Knapp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
That is a great idea! Count me in for a contribuion. In fact, I will offer my board as a place to raise money as well if it is necessary (no telling what the ad may cost). I think HTF can probably do it alone but perhaps a united front of many on-line forums would speak a little more loudly.

Good positive thinking. Lets just make sure the ad touts the positive nature of OAR releases (not just widescreen....OAR) and that it doesnt look like a big pan and scan bitch-a-thon. You get more flies with honey than vinegar.

Mike

Mike Knapp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Sample ad copy.
HOLLYWOOD!
You know us well. We were here in the beginning. We are still here.
DONT FORSAKE US!
E-OAR....Enthusiasts for Original Aspect Ratio
The e-oar thing should give Disney a hint as well! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks