Digital Audio Software:CDR/MP3 burning/playing, what's good?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jeff lam, Dec 3, 2002.

1. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I want to put some music on my computer and burn some CD's/MP3's and I need to find a good software program to do it. Something easy to use and has good quality. My brother suggested Musicmatch. He said it's great and is real easy. I have no experience in this stuff so I'm clueless. Any suggestions?

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

jeff - here's how i do it.
    to create .wav files from the cd or convert .wav to .mp3 or vice-versa i use CDex. it's totally easy - very simple interface. it's literally a one-button type app.
    to compile and burn stuff i use easy cd creator. also very easy to use. drag & drop (or select) your songs, then click record.
    some other popular apps include exact audio copy and nero. i've never used EAC and i don't like nero....but that's just me.
    good luck...making your own cd's is the best!

3. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Exact Audio Copy (EAC) is the best CD ripper you can get, as it uses error-correction/detection methods to ensure your rips are perfect, with no clicks or pops from scratched or dirty CD media. It will also automatically encode mp3s after a rip, using the mp3 encoder front-end of your choice, although the free LAME mp3 encoder is highly recommended.
    Have a look at this site, http://www.r3mix.net/ , which will tell you everything you need to know about ripping and encoding high-quality mp3s.

4. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

I double Ted's recommendation for CDex. I've been using that exclusively for CD ripping for a long time.

I also use both EZ CD Creator and Nero.

Haven't used EAC, though. (CDex also utilizes error correction and resampling, but you have to configure the more "paranoid" settings, as CDex refers to it, manually.)