Digital audio servers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Norris, Jul 24, 2002.

1. Norris

Norris Stunt Coordinator

I've been looking for something to rip all my CDs (lots of them). The recent issue of Sound & Vision has a review on several of them. Prices are $800 and up. I just found one here http://www.perceptiondigital.com/products.htm Does any of you have a server like what I'm talking about? Any comments? I prefer it to be non-PC-based, so I can just hook it up to my home theater system.
    Thanks,
    Norris

2. Brian D Scott

Brian D Scott Stunt Coordinator

Check out the July/August issue of Sound & Vision - I have a letter on page 19 about this! I decided to go with a PC/Home PNA/AV Component solution myself. I will e-mail you my four-page document on how I did it - it may be an alternative for you. Out of all of the servers, the one that most intrigued me was the Zap product because of the web-enabling.

3. Norris

Norris Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Brian,
    I recall reading a reader's letter (probably you) complaining that the non PC-based servers don't have backup ability. That's one serious concern. So now I'm gonna use an old PC to act as a server/jukebox networked to the home theater system. Any help in connecting is appreciated. I just found an Audiotron machine that will work well. Here's the link http://www17.tomshardware.com/networ...220/index.html

4. Brian D Scott

Brian D Scott Stunt Coordinator

The Rio Receiver is no longer being produced, but if you only want to access MP3 and WMA files, it can be found at Best Buy for $149. This includes the Home PNA card - I'm very inpressed with the speed and consistency of the HPNA network. Although it's only 10 Mbps, it's more than fast enough - there is no discernable lag between songs either.