1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Digital audio selector advice

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by seth_petry_john, Nov 3, 2003.

1. seth_petry_john

Can anyone recommend a good digitial audio selector? You know the story: I have more sources with digitial audio out than I have inputs on my receiver. My receiver has one Toslink and one coax connection for digital audio. My DVD player uses the coax, and everything else that I want to hook up uses Toslink so I only NEED an optical audio switch.

I want something that I can integrate with the macros on my home theater remote so I need discrete remote codes for each input.

I'm worried about signal quality: do selectors like this affect the audio qualify in any perceptible way?

I've done some research and found some unit that do what I want. Does anyone have any experience with these models? Any advice?

Inday DA4X-R - $119
    inday.com/da4x/da4x.htm

Radio Shack 15-1987 - $99.99
    radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=15%2D1987

Audio Authority AA1177 - $119.99
    digitalconnection.com/products/audio/aa1177.asp

Cables to Go 3/1 Switch - $79.99
    tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?sku=C184%2D28731

As much as I'd like something like the Zektor component video/audio switch, that's a little out of my budget at this time.

Thanks in advance,
    Seth

2. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Seth, I've had an Audio Authority switcher for about 4 years problem-free. About the same time, I also got an MSB Digital Director. It turned out to be a bust. After about a year, it started having random dropouts. It's been on the shelf gathering dust and the little plastic AA switcher plugs on. The AA swicher with it's auto-selection (over-rideable) would function simply and well with your macro commands since the turning on of a connected source will turn on the unit and effect a switch. This without a command directly to the switcher itself. Best wishes!

3. peter m. wilson

peter m. wilson Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    Get the cheapest one that can be returned if you don't likeit.

These things are pretty simple and either work or they don't.

Peter m.