Digital audio question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeFR, Aug 26, 2002.

1. MikeFR

MikeFR Supporting Actor

I have a Sony STR-DE575 receiver and have my dvd player hooked up through the optical connection. Im trying to find out if I can have 2 digital connections at the same time(IE playstation2(opt) and dvd player(coax)). Couldnt find anything in the manual other than to hook your dvd player up to one or the other and not both.

Im assuming I can have 2 digital connections at the same time, but im not quite sure.

Thanks

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Typically you have to assign a digital port to a specific input. For instance (in your case), the optical port to is assigned to the DVD input. The coaxial port(s) can be assigned to other inputs, like DSS, Tape, etc. You could then connect your Playstation to the correct digital port and activate it with the appropriate input selection from the remote or front panel.

The owner’s manual will have instructions on how to do this via the receiver’s menu system.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Rob Dawn

Rob Dawn Stunt Coordinator

I couldn't find a pic of the back of your exact unit so I'll take a little bit of a guess here...

If your unit is like my STR-DA333ES, you have 2 options:

1) Use coax from DVD player to DVD input on receiver and optical from PS2 to DVD input on receiver. Then you would have to set the Digital Source on the receiver to be coax or optical every time you change from one to the other.
    (Now you might be able to set it to Auto Detect and then if you only have one unit on at a time, the receiver should find the correct digital audio signal??)

2) Use coax from DVD player to DVD input on receiver and optical from PS2 to a different input (Video2, DBS, etc.) on the receiver. Then you set the input mode on the receiver to whichever component your using.

Rob

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The 575 has 2 optical, one coaxial. One optical and the coax appear to be for the same input, indicating only one or the other may be used at a time for it, unless they are assignable to other inputs as Wayne pointed out, which I do not believe they are on this model.

To answer your question, you should be able to use both of the opticals at the same time without issue, but not all 3. The two inputs (one coax, one optical) labled DVD/LD will most likely not be able to be used together.

5. MikeFR

MikeFR Supporting Actor

Thanks guys.
    John, thanks for pointing that out, I complete forgot about/missed the tv/sat opt. connection :b
    For some reason I had it stuck in my head that I had 1 opt and 1 coax [​IMG] and was completely oblivious to everything else when I looked in the manual.
    Thanks again... Now I would consider that PS2 if those damn games werent so expensive [​IMG]