What's new

Digital audio from Comcast/AT&T digital box (1 Viewer)

jimbo w

Stunt Coordinator
Relatively new to HT and trying to get the most out of my system. With many digital stations broadcasting in 5.1 I find it frustrating that my cable provider cant (or wont) supply us with a tuner that has either optical or coax digital audio out. I live in sonoma county in northern california. Does anyone else with comcast/att have different than the motorola box with only analog sound? Not sure what I can do about it until they upgrade (if they do!) Thanks

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Jimbo, I'm guessing that even if you do manage to get one, it won't do any good as your cable company does not pass the 5.1 signal

jimbo w

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply. That was another concern of mine. I guess it is up to the cable company to pass on the signal they get from starz,hbo,etc. Satellite sounds better and better all the time!

Dan Stone

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone else with comcast/att have different than the motorola box with only analog sound?
Yes, I have the Motorola DCT-2000L which provides DD 5.1 with my Comcast/AT&T service. The new DCT-5100 HD box (not available in all areas yet) also passes the 5.1 audio. Most of the premium movie channels are in 5.1 now when I watch them. The box has been available (at least here in Washington State) since October. Call your local Comcast/AT&T office and see about upgrading your box. It should be available in your area, although the number of premium channels with 5.1 may vary by location.

Hope this helps,

Dan

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
In regards to Dolby Digital on Satellite:

Both Dish Network and DirecTV offer the east and west coast feeds of HBO, Showtime, and Starz in Dolby Digital. In addition, DirecTV also offers Showtime Too, Showtime Extreme, and Showtime Showcase in Dolby Digital. All programming is passed as a Dolby Digital signal, but that signal is usually 2.0, with 5.1 only on newer films and some original programming.

Disn Network offers multiple channels of Dolby Digital 5.1 pay-per-views, some even in widescreen. Not sure about DirecTV.

Also, all of the High Definition channels offered by both services use Dolby Digital.

-Lyle J.P.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks