Digital audio from Comcast/AT&T digital box

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jimbo w, Mar 1, 2003.

1. jimbo w

jimbo w Stunt Coordinator

Relatively new to HT and trying to get the most out of my system. With many digital stations broadcasting in 5.1 I find it frustrating that my cable provider cant (or wont) supply us with a tuner that has either optical or coax digital audio out. I live in sonoma county in northern california. Does anyone else with comcast/att have different than the motorola box with only analog sound? Not sure what I can do about it until they upgrade (if they do!) Thanks

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Jimbo, I'm guessing that even if you do manage to get one, it won't do any good as your cable company does not pass the 5.1 signal

3. jimbo w

jimbo w Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the reply. That was another concern of mine. I guess it is up to the cable company to pass on the signal they get from starz,hbo,etc. Satellite sounds better and better all the time!

4. ChrisClearman

ChrisClearman Second Unit

VERY few Sat channels are 5.1 either. Some HBO, Showtime, Starzs, and everyonce in awhile PPV, but that's it.

5. Dan Stone

Dan Stone Stunt Coordinator

6. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

In regards to Dolby Digital on Satellite:

Both Dish Network and DirecTV offer the east and west coast feeds of HBO, Showtime, and Starz in Dolby Digital. In addition, DirecTV also offers Showtime Too, Showtime Extreme, and Showtime Showcase in Dolby Digital. All programming is passed as a Dolby Digital signal, but that signal is usually 2.0, with 5.1 only on newer films and some original programming.

Disn Network offers multiple channels of Dolby Digital 5.1 pay-per-views, some even in widescreen. Not sure about DirecTV.

Also, all of the High Definition channels offered by both services use Dolby Digital.

-Lyle J.P.