What's new

Digital audio dropouts (1 Viewer)

BillyLown

Grip
Has anyone come up with a solution to the problem with the some pre/pros (B&K ref 50, Outlaw 950, Rotel 1066) locking onto the digital signals (DD or DTS)i.e. with DVD's it does not pick the signal up right away... a couple of seconds elapse before the audio starts or when you skip around to different chapters there's a delay in the audio. Sometimes happen with CD's too at the beginning. This never happens with receivers. Wanted to upgrade to a pre/pro but this problem is annoying

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Not true. Do a search on this forum and you will find posts about dropouts being experienced with some of the newer receivers, with Marantz and Yamaha being such examples. It would appear that this type of "problem" is becoming more common as more digital capability is being added to processors and receivers.

BTW, you keep harping on the Ref50 in your posts, but the only outstanding issue I am aware of is that the Ref50 experiences audio dropouts with one or two specific cable TV receivers, not DVD or CD players via a digital connection. Go to a dealer with some DVDs and CDs and see if you experience the dropouts on their Ref50 system. I am guessing that you won't.

Michael

Chip E

Screenwriter

Michael's right. With my rig it's just the SA3100HD box... nothing else (including a Panny high def sat box). DVD's are fine too.

Michael Cucka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Cucka
Haven't had this problem with Yamaha, but Marantz certainly had the issue in the past - this has been corrected on current models and firmware updates exist for some precious models to eleiminate the problem as well.

This begs the question: why does this issue exist at all?

Many high-end pre/pros have this delay locking onto a digital signal - but not all. Consumer-level receivers (at most price points) don't - and in those that do, the issue can be "fixed" (such as Marantz).

I find the issue an annoying inconveinence, especially when paying several thousands of dollars for a quality component - luckily my Marantz 9200 has been fixed after the update.:)

BillyLown

Grip

Exactly!! Why does this issue exist with high end processors
and not with low to mid priced receivers?

Tom_Mack

Stunt Coordinator
The digital delay was my biggest deal breaker when buying a receiver.

I have returned 2 receivers so far because of the delay issue. These were the Harmon/Kardon 525 ($1000) and Marantz 8200 ($1800). Both of these receivers dropped 2 seconds of movie at the start and during the layer change. The Marantz even dropped off the start of CDs when using a digital connection! Marantz fixed the issue in their newer receivers and the 8200 now has a software update (although you had to wait around 2 years for it and it costs a couple hundred dollars!)

2 receivers I tested had no delay (Denon 3802/Integra 7.1) and the receiver I finally ended up with Yamaha 2400 had a little less than a second delay.

If one of these receivers can run without the delay, they all should be able to!

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Which ones? From my experience and those around me the Lexicon MC-8/MC-12, Anthem AVM-20, Bryston SP1.7, B&K Ref50 and Parasound Halo C1/C2 do not have this problem.

I would be curious as to which models you believe to have this problem.

Michael

Jonas Pearson

Stunt Coordinator
Interestingly from what I have read and experienced these dropouts seem to exist with certain combinations of receivers/processors, sources, and connections.

I have a Marantz SR7200 that dropped out with my Tosh 2800 DVD player via coaxial. Now with the same receiver and a Denon 1600 DVD player via optical, no dropouts.

DanKaps

Grip
Here's a brief history of my dealings with audio drop-outs and the equipment used (cables were 100% determined to not be the problem in any case):

Yamaha 905 receiver and a Toshiba 3109 DVD Player

No audio problems

------------------------

Outlaw 1050 receiver and the Tosh. 3109

Audio dropouts in 6.1 DD mixes. Solution - turn Outlaw's rear center channel on even though I wasn't using one. (Note : the Outlaw takes an extra sec to lock-on to a new signal. This will cut the first second or two of audio in menus and such)

------------------------

Outlaw 1050 and a Toshiba 4700 DVD player

Frequent audio drop-outs in most DD or DTS mixes. No resolution - had to replace DVD player. (it worked fine in another room)

------------------------

Outlaw 1050 and a Panasonic RP-82

No audio problems (except for the 1050 slow to synch up like before)

------------------------

B&K AVR307 and the Panny RP-82

No audio problems.

------------------------

B&K AVR307 and XBOX

Receiver has trouble synching with digital audio from XBOX. Solution - have the XBOX on and sending audio before switching to correct input on receiver. I'm pretty sure that this has been fixed in later software versions. (2.11 is available and I'm still on 2.04) I'll soon send in the 307 for the 317 upgrade which should fix this issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks