What's new

Digital 8mm Video Cameras (1 Viewer)

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Looking to make the jump to digital video. Would like a Digital camcorder compatible with 8mm so I can transfer all my 8mm analog tapes to DVD (this is very important). Budget ~500.00.

So far, only found the Sony DCRTRV350, but feel I'm missing some other decent alternatives. Perhaps my google skills aren't as good as I thought ? Any suggestions ?

Thanks !

Evelio Figueroa

Second Unit
I have that model and its my 1st 8mm camera. I didn't like the prices on the Mini DV cameras so I looked at the Sony DCRTRV350. It has i-link to hook up to my Sony Vaio desktop. If you're looking to transfer all your 8mm analog tapes to DVD, then this is the camera for you. It'll playback 8mm and Hi8

Here is the specs on it.

http://www.sonystyle.com/intershopro...DCR-TRV350.pdf

The DCRTRV250 does not playback 8mm and Hi8. Its D8 only.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Sony is the only manufacturer of Digital8 camcorders. As you've discovered, some of the Digital8 models (typically the cheaper ones) can't play 8mm/Hi8 tapes.

You can go the MiniDV route. MiniDV models have gotten cheaper, and some may be within a $500 budget now. However, you would need one that has an analog line input (many do not), and you would also need an working 8mm/Hi8 camcorder (e.g., your existing one) for converting tapes.

Finally, there are analog video capture solutions for PCs, although I doubt if any of the cheap (

Andrew W

Supporting Actor
Most of the DV cameras have a analog pass thru conversion. It's not usually well documented, but in general, you hook up a VHS or 8mm player to the cameras RCA analog input and then you can do a digital capture on your computer. I've got the TRV320 and it does this.
Andy

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Unfortunately my analog 8mm camcorder has died, so it looks like it's the 350 for me. Too many pix of my daughter I need transferred to digital.

Onecall has it for ~450.00, includes shipping. They've been good to me previously so off I go !

Thanks

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Found a lot of references to the Hitachi Digital8 VME555LA, but no solid reviews, pricing or feature summaries. Not clear if it will transfer analog 8mm and Hi8 to digital.

Even Hitachi's website didn't bring it up !

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks