Digital 8 Camcorder?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kelly Scott Rickards, Feb 11, 2003.

1. Kelly Scott Rickards

Kelly Scott Rickards Stunt Coordinator

Jan 26, 2000
    I am looking to buy my first camcorder(my son is due to be born in April) and it seems the Digital 8 format is a very appealing one to me..

I need a unit with USB out so I can capture stills of my son and email them to friends and relatives....would a Digital 8 camcorder be good for taking/capturing still shots?....I do not have a digital camera and if I could kill 2 birds/w 1 stone that would be great [​IMG]

AFAIK, you can use hi8 tapes and get digital quality recordings...would you recommend the Digital 8 format?

Of the D8 camcorders, which is the best bang fot the buck?

I know Sony makes D8 camcorders but Hitachi also makes them.....any other brands?

I found a Hitachi VMD865LA Digital 8 Camcorder at for around $ this a good deal?

My budget is $350 max and I would like to get the best camcorder for that price or less....

HELP and thank you

Kelly Scott Rickards

EDIT: I just found out the Hitachi doesn't have a USB out but the Sony DCR-TRV140 this a better camcorder?

Capturing stills on my computer is a big deal for me. I would even consider buying a discontinued model or perhaps even a used unit in good condition if the price was right...

Are there any websites you suggest?
  2. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

Nov 5, 1999
    For what it's worth, I much prefer the Mini DV format, which is becoming the standard for digital camcorders. For one thing, there are more models to choose from.

Digital 8 is good for people who have owned 8 mm or Hi 8 camcorders in the past and need a camcorder that is capable of playing their older tapes.