Digital 5.1 with digital cable my problem is...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard_s, Feb 5, 2002.

1. Richard_s

Richard_s Second Unit

Don't know if there is a way but I have not purchased a new receiver yet that has digital 5.1 so maybe if I get the right unit I can still get digital Dolby to work. Here is my problem.
    Att broadband my wonderful service just put in Digital service for me and it turns out the they do not supply a cable box with either a coax or optical digital output (no SPDIF either). The box outputs the RF signal to my TV and just L & R audio. My TV the Sony 53HS10 does not have an output for Digital Dolby sound either.
    Is there any way I can use the RF signal going to the TV and split it to a reciver or some other device so I can get Digital Dolby 5.1
    Thanks All
    [​IMG]

2. John Sully

John Sully Stunt Coordinator

AT&T really cheaped out on their digital boxes, didn't they?

Anyway, the best you can do is use the L/R audio outputs and feed them to your receiver. Then hit Menu->Setup->Audio->Advanced and set Stereo output to "Matrix". This gives a downmixed Dolby Surround mix to the L/R outputs of the box.

3. Richard_s

Richard_s Second Unit

Thanks.

I am a newbie to the 5.1 stuff and got introduced to it using my PC. So I am not sure what "Matrix" is but its does not sound like digital dolby 5.1 I expect. I have the 53hs10 for my home theater and love it. The speakers I have I know are not great but the reason I wanted digital dolby 5.1 so much is the following but maybe I can get close with this "matrix" mode.

I have Bose AM7 front and the rears are Bose model 100. Yes I know this is not great but its what I have for now. What I was planning to do is set all of the front and rear speakers to "small" and add a subwoofer to fill in the base for all channels (sound below 80hZ and let the woofer for the bose handle the 80-200hz task)). Does the "matrix" mode allow for this kind of speaker setup.

Also are there any receivers or separate converters that can take the RF output of the cable box and feed the 5.1 digital dolby to the reciever. Better yet is there a reciever that has such a capability built in.

YES ATT broadband are cheap and I will be talking to them again and tell them based on this issue its time for me to look into satelite systems again doubt they care.

4. John DeSantis

John DeSantis Stunt Coordinator

I don't think any Cable Co. sends 5.1 signals, do they? You will see a notice maybe at the beginning of a Movie that it's being transmitted but it would have to be picked up by an Antenna or dish. At least that's what i've come to understand. Ready to be re-educated if I misunderstood....

5. Richard_s

Richard_s Second Unit

you may be right I would like to know also. Maybe it a mute point if the cable box has digital output if there is no digital signal to begin with.

I did find that the cable box has a setting for the sound and has two choices STEREO and MATRIX STEREO. Trying to figure out what the matrix stereo sound mode does. Anyone know? Is this what was recommended above and I use this along with the matrix setting on the receiver?

6. Richard_s

Richard_s Second Unit

Another question is "Matrix" the same as "Virtual Multi Dimension" I don't have a setting that states "Matrix"

Thanks again

7. John DeSantis

My Box has those settings too. I don't really hear any difference between STEREO and MATRIX. I get DPL from either. I haven't really gotten an explanation as to just what "matrix" means.

8. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

9. John Sully

John Sully Stunt Coordinator

Matrix provides a DPL downmix of the *digital* channels, which do have a 5.1 audio stream. My guess is that "virtual surround..." is probably a DPL downmix. Analog channels provide DPL if the broadcast provides it.

The pisser about all of this is that the DCT 2000 box which AT&T uses offers optional S-video and DD outputs, but AT&T was too cheesy to get them.

10. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Hello Richard
    Unless your cable box has a ac-3 output that you can plug into a demodulator or has a digital ouput. You can not listen to Dolby Digital programing from your cable provider. And only with a reciever with a Dolby Digital processor. I am looking at upgrading my dish to a receiver that has a digital output. It is not a priority because I do not care for Dolby Digital. So if it is or is not available it does not matter one way or the other. Now if the movie channels started using DTS then wow. But I hope this helps you.
    [email protected]

11. John DeSantis

I have the DCT 2000 also and not only did they leave out the SPDIF but even an S-Video port. There is a battle going on for our dollars. If the Cable Co. wants to compete they will eventually have to offer DD. Why order these Cable Boxes for Customers without the SPDIF etc. They will all have to be upgraded when and if they decide to transmit DD. And, as I said. They'll have to eventually. I would switch to a dish if it wasn't for the Internet access I get. Getting it from a dish isn't as fast and reliable.

12. Richard_s

Richard_s Second Unit

__________________________________________________ _________
    Matrix provides a DPL downmix of the *digital* channels, which do have a 5.1 audio stream. My guess is that "virtual surround..." is probably a DPL downmix. Analog channels provide DPL if the broadcast provides it.
    New at this [​IMG] What is DPL downmix and have you found many DPL broadcasts on channels like HBO, Showtime, Starz? Also how does one know if the broadcast has the DPL Downmix?
    I don't have a receiver yet the STR-DE475 is my sons and that has the "Virtual Multi Dimension" mode that I mensioned above. Below is another Sony that lists "Virtual Matrix 6.1 Mode" Is this the mode I really need?
    Sony 400-Watt SACD/DVD-Audio-Ready Home Theater Receiver — STR-DE475
    400 watts total system power (80 watts x 5, 1kHz @ 8 ohms, 0.9% THD); Dolby Digital and DTS decoders; 5.1-channel inputs; 2 digital inputs $199
    Sony 500-Watt Dolby Digital/DTS Home Theater Receiver with Virtual Matrix 6.1 Mode — STR-DE875
    100 watts x 5; 32-bit Dolby Digital, DTS and Dolby Pro Logic decoding; 32-bit DSP; Virtual Matrix 6.1 mode; Digital Cinema Sound $399
    What do you feel is the least expensive receiver that has the "MATRIX" capability for the DPL downmix that you feel is a good solid receiver?
    [/b] I plan to send the URL for this post to the regional ATT consumer issue office I have their snail mail address but can't get a contact there with an e-mail. Doubt they will care but I feel this is an important issue given what we pay for digital service and they take away the s-video and SPDIF. Time to research satelite again[/b]

13. Randy Schissler

Randy Schissler Stunt Coordinator

The answer is to buy a receiver with Dolby Pro Logic II.

I have an Onkyo 797 reciever, and for cable TV I use the DPLII music mode with the settings of Panorama-On, Dimension-3, and Center Width-3. Although it depends on the original sound source of each cable channel, the surround sound effect on some channels is incredible. Almost as good as a true DD 5.1 DVD.

--Randy S.

14. David John

David John Stunt Coordinator

My digi-cable, Time Warner NJ, does send DD5.1 signals.
    My box is a Scientific Atlanta and it has a Co-ax digital output.
    Some HBO movies are 5.1 and many of the Showtime Channels show movies that are 5.1 also, however it has to be a fairly recent movie that is in DD5.1. Otherwise, they are just DD2.0 which sounds amazing with DPL2. Much better than analog with DPL2, better imaging and separation.
    If you call your cable provider, there's a slight chance they may be able to order you a box with a digital audio out. However, they may be limited to the system they installed.. it may not be able to deliver the DD5.1 signal.
    Some cable companies have upgraded to digital service only to provide more channels. They aren't as concerned with high quality A/V, just quanitity! [​IMG]

15. Richard_s

Richard_s Second Unit

Otherwise, they are just DD2.0 which sounds amazing with DPL2. Much better than analog with DPL2, better imaging and separation.

__________________________________________________ __________

I do not have any digital output from my cable box so I can not use the DPL2 from a digital port. I have to use the DPL2 from the analog audio outputs on the cable box. My current receiver has DPL (5yrs old Pioneer) but not DPL2 so would a new receiver with DPL2 improve my sound experience.

Thanks

16. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Guess I lucked out. Cox recently upgraded us to digital cable and supplied me with a scientific atlanta 2100 box. It has s-video and digital coax output on it. Haven't tested it to see if they pass dolby digital yet though.

Jeff

17. Randy Schissler

You don't need a digital output to use DPLII. That's the whole idea. It will basically convert a stereo source to surround sound. It works great with a VCR as well, which is only two channel. Of course the better the source the better the effect. As as example, I recorded Stephen King's "Rose Red", that was broadcast on TV last week, with my VCR. It took three tapes in SP mode (6 hours), but I was amazed at the surround sound when I played it back with DPLII in the music mode settings I listed previously.

--Randy S.

18. Richard_s

Richard_s Second Unit

Randy thanks I just was not sure. My current receiver has DPL but not DPL2 and it does give me surround sound capability when the broadcast is in analog dolby. Does DPL2 improve the sound over the older DPL? I went to the www.dolby.com site but don't quite understand what they are saying obviously they make it sound like the greatest thing around.
    Also in DPL2 receivers like yours can I set the speakers to small and hookup a subwoofer to give me the sub 80hz for all channels including the surround. I have the Bose AM7 with bose model 100 rears (don't laugh) but I got them all for $350 so that was good. I want to add a subwoofer to use with my speakers to improve the bass effect.
    thanks again really appreciate all of the replys here I am learning alot [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. Randy Schissler

Richard,

The main problem with the original DPL is that it just uses the fronts and center speakers (you may hear a whisper trace of sound in the surrounds). DPLII takes full advantage of the rear surrounds to give a 5.1 effect, especially if you have a receiver that has the DPLII Music Mode, where you can adjust the surround effect as much as you want.

I have large Polk Audio speakers and they are set to small, with the subwoofer at 80Hz. So your Bose (sorry, I can't stop laughing) system should work.

If you plan to use your system for music too, it is quite dramatic switching a CD from stereo to DPLII.

--Randy S.

20. John DeSantis

This Dpl 2 sounds good. What are some moderately priced Brands/Models that have DPL 2? I'm talking around 250.00 to 300.00