DIGIPAKS(cardboard cases) is creative,but it KILLS your discs!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by YANG, Mar 29, 2002.

1. YANG

YANG Second Unit

All the while,i had been complaining about the durability and tightness of DIGIPAK cases that had been a hot favorite to numbers of studios including FOX(for their special editions) and DISNEY(commonly used to their VISTA SERIES products) and WARNER(to their special editions and upcoming HARRY POTTER S.E).

The holder/jaws of DIGITPAKS holds my UNBREAKABLE disc1 so tight that it had finally "BREAKS" my disc...or kills it after a frequent time of viewing.The tightness of the jaws seems to have seperated the two layers,causes air penetration to LASER ROT.I can't play my disc anymore.This is frustrating!!!

Although there is a little improvement to the design of the jaw/disc holder,evidently showed from the release of TOMBSTONE,the spring release side of the jaws do not release the disc freely from the other end/jaws.

Do we really have to break a few jaws so that we can remove the discs freely?

Why can't the studios' DVD production/designing teams just live happily with more durable DUAL ALHPAS,SLIM AMARAYS, or that "book type cases"(used on the release of LAWRENCE OF ARABIA,BRIDGE ON RIVER KWAI, and most recently PEARL HARBOR) which may although look "low class" but comes with better advantages?

Is there any members collection had been "killed" by the tightness of DIGIPAK holders?

DO WE HAVE TO SPEND AGAIN AND AGAIN JUST BECAUSE THE DISCS HAD BEEN "KILLED" BY DIGIPAK HOLDERS???

ISN'T DVD SUPPOSED TO BE A MORE DURABLE FORMAT THAN VHS RELEASES???

Discs that had been released with DIGIPAKS are(to my knowledge)...

FOX- X FILES SERIES

FOX- X MEN S.E

FOX- FIGHT CLUB

FOX- MOULIN ROUGE

FOX/WARNER- BBC documentaries- WALKING WITH DINOSAURS

WARNER- DOCTOR ZHIVAGO

WARNER- HARRY POTTER S.E(upcoming release)

WARNER-A.I(oversea release)

WARNER HBO series- FROM THE EARTH TO THE MOON

CTHV- CLOSE ENCOUNTER OF THE THIRD KIND

BV- VISTA SERIES 1- UNBREAKABLE

BV- VISTA SERIES 2- SIXTH SENSE

BV- VISTA SERIES 3- TOMBSTONE

NEWLINE- SEVEN S.E

2. Dave Gilbert

Dave Gilbert Second Unit

Not only that, but cardboard doesn't stand up over time. I think the Se7en Platinum release is terribly clever, but that slipcover is getting frayed around the edges. They just can't stand up to loaning and/or repeated viewings.

3. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Yang, you missed naming a bunch of digipak releases:
    Star Trek: The Next Generation, The Sopranos, Cosmos, All In The Family, Larry Sanders Show...hey! All of these are TV Shows! [​IMG]

4. Kevin McCorry

Kevin McCorry Stunt Coordinator

Just got my R2 UFO box set by Carlton and it too is in a Digipak. [​IMG]
    Carlton's Space: 1999 discs were all given separate Amarays. So, why not the same for UFO?
    Requires me to buy cases for the discs, cases that must sit on my shelf completely blank (I haven't the software to produce my own covers) along with Cosmos, Fawlty Towers, and Zhivago.
    Until now, R2 was a safe haven from the bane of Digipak,
    but now the accursed things have crossed the great pond.
    [​IMG]

5. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

I love Digipaks, they just look so much more classy than the cold unoriginality of your standard plastic case, as long as they're well-kept. I've never had a problem with them hurting discs.

6. Douglas Bailey

Douglas Bailey Second Unit

Douglas Bailey
    My Digipak releases are all in pretty good shape... but then again, I don't loan them out or even let others handle them. (There are times when it helps to be mildly obsessive.)

doug

7. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

8. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Use an old CDR or AOL disc to wear down the hubs. Take the disc in and out 10-15 times. This will loosen them up to where they're just fine

When Digipacks first came out, they had an iron grip. Now they're MUCH better.

9. Ryan L B

Ryan L B Supporting Actor

i dont know what is so bad about them.

10. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Yes I absolutely hate these things, tonight twice I had the blasted TNG season set open a mile wide as I grabbed disk six. The damn thing took the OPlunge on me twice, plummetting several disks out of the holders and the card board of the thing got creased. As soon as I can I'm getting the disks into a Keep case and using Ric Easton's excellent covers. THE TNG case Sucks Plain and simple it's not designed for Ease of Use, you know I'll be watching these things not just displaying it on my shelf.

11. Iain Jackson

Iain Jackson Second Unit

I've never had a digipack that damaged discs because the hubs were too tight - in fact, the only problem I've ever had is discs falling out because the hubs are too loose!

Anyway, I like digipacks, they look much nicer than a boring plastic case. I've kept good care of all of mine, and they are still all in great condition.

12. Gui A

Gui A Supporting Actor

Luckily, the designs of Almost Famous: Untitled (The Bootleg cut) and Fight Club allow for the damage the box will suffer.
    There's a big ding in the corner of my Almost Famous box, but it's hard to see since it looks like it's part of the box...

13. Mick Wright

Mick Wright Second Unit

14. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Kane's hubs are a little difficult at first, but they loosen up after 3-4 times.

I always lift the discs out with my thumb through the tab.

15. Michael Moulton

Michael Moulton Stunt Coordinator

Loaning in jewel cases makes a lot of sense for any DVD, especially snappers and digipaks, b/c they are more fragile. Or pick up a few spare Amarays and use them.

My Fight Club case is my only digipak that's not in perfect condition... and it's also the only one that was ever loaned out. Coincidence? Probably not.

16. Kevin McCorry

Kevin McCorry Stunt Coordinator

The Digipak bane continues. R2's Hitchhiker's
    Guide to the Galaxy is in a Digipak. It arrived
    with disc 2 off its hub and badly scratched and
    disc 1 partially dislodged and the pressure on the
    undislodged part of the disc having caused a
    hairline crack in the disc center. And my R2
    Fawlty Towers also just arrived with all
    three discs off their hubs. Digipaks. Either they
    have the death's grip on the discs or the discs
    pop off them in transit. I despise these things.
    What have the studios got against releasing discs
    in separate Amaray keepcases? It's enough I have
    to buy separate cases but when the discs can't
    even arrive in good order... Aarrgh!
    [​IMG]

17. Tom Rhea

Tom Rhea Second Unit

The only problem I've had with these is with the Star Trek TNG season 1 set. It was fine when I first opened it, but the second time the edge of the left hand side got caught underneath one of the plastic trays without me seeing it and broke part of it off like a phaser through butter. I literally did not even notice this until I went to put the disc back in; it didn't feel like it was caught on anything at all.

Then last night I noticed a crack in another of the plastic trays. Is Paramount using extra flimsy plastic or something? At $100.00 (minimum) per set, I expect these to last a little bit longer.

18. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Supporting Actor

The Matrix Reloaded and Glengarry Glen Ross both come in these cases that have the first disc in this ridiculously cheap branch that swings out. Both of these movies have developed hairline cracks because of this packaging. If the manufacturer wants to charge higher for a double alpha, I would be more then willing to pay it knowing that it would make the discs last longer. Very, very disappointing. [​IMG]

19. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

On the subject of Digipacks, I've never had the problem detailed in the first post, in regard to discs breaking and stuff on removal.

Here's my thoughts on Digipacks, I love them for 3-4 disc releases, but 6-9 that's when I don't like them all that much.

They're ok for 2 disc releases also, but not necessary.

20. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    Haven't had much of a problem at all with digipaks. Besides that massive Alien Quadrilogy packaging.