DigiCam Rush - Wow!

Discussion in 'Computers' started by John*K, Feb 5, 2004.

1. John*K

John*K Stunt Coordinator

Can anyone make a recommendation for a digicam -- and due to my timeframe, very quick! I have currently two cameras in mind, the Canon G5 and the Nikon 5400. Believe me, I have been reading like mad, but I need some pretty quick advice.

THANKS! for ANY help. Thank you!

2. John*K

John*K Stunt Coordinator

Sorry - forgot to add that I am looking for a 5 PIX camera, and am wiling to pay up to $900US.

3. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

Grab the G5 for I think less than $600 now. I have one and it sure is neat. The Nikon 5400 hasn't come out yet when I had to get my camera but it sure is a great contender. I have tried the 5700 and 5000 but the "buried" menus turned me away. I think the 5400 has addressed that somehow.

4. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

You could also get a Canon G3...supposedly slightly better than the G5, even with it's slightly lower resolution sensor (less sensor noise, faster picture processing). The G3s should be cheaper now that the G5 is out.

If portability is important, you could go for a Canon Powershot S45 or S50 (higher end for the small digicams).

More info can be had at www.dpreview.com ... has reviews and a Canon discussion forum.

5. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Canon Digital Rebel $1000.00 with the kit lenses..

Spend the extra hundred and get a real camera. I had my
    Point and Shoot about 2 months before I got fed up and sold
    it. I am now a happy D-SLR owner!

SLR's are the only way to go.. Unless you really, really
    want a tiny camera (and the Digital Rebel isn't that big).

But that is just my humble opinion.. And the Dreb is 6MP

6. John*K

John*K Stunt Coordinator

I have looked into SLR, but am unclear as to its advantages. I think I am better off with a point-and-shoot solution... I'm just not that sophisticated where lens are involved!

Thanks for the Rec. Max. I am evaluting the G3. Canon seems to be well regarded, but I have read that there is an issue with corner shadowing (always lower right hand corner) in the G3 and the G5. I can't find the site at the moment, though, but I have seen pictures of this effect.

I Went to Best Buy to try to get closer to a decision. But, MAN, the kid who was helping me wouldn't let me touch the camera. He kept taking the pictures for me. Really irritated me, so I am looking in the phone book for another retail electronics store. (But maybe I should have expected this kind of treatment at Best Buy!)

7. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

The advantages of an SLR....

Bright Viewfinder (Optical not LCD like a P&S) Through The
    Lens (TTL), Very advanced features (more so than most P&S's)
    Interchangeability.. As your skills and wants grow you can
    always add different/better glass (can't do that with a
    P&S unless you just "stack" add on lenses which are in
    general not that great..)

There are some drawbacks but a model like the Digital Rebel
    can be shot as a P&S it has numerous fully auto modes.

I just feel that an SLR is a better investment because you
    don't really outgrow an SLR because the SLR can grow with
    you.

But like I said that's my opinion and it would be best to
    find a place willing to let you "play" with both and make
    a decision based on your experiance. And yes Canon makes
    great cameras even if some Canon owners are blow hards [​IMG]

8. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I toured Japan with a heavy SLR minolta and while the pictures were nice I vowed never to do that again...they're just too bulky.

I now have a Canon A60 that I love and know of a bunch of people with the G3's and G5's so I'm partial to the Canon's.

9. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Corner shadow is an issue only if you use the flash. IMHO you shouldn't be using the internal flash anyways (regardless of which camera you buy...internal flashes suck - red eye galore!)...get yourself a Canon 420EX external flash and you'll be much happier with the results. Granted, it isn't very portable, but then again who wants red eye and "deer in the headlights" look anyways? [​IMG]

I have the Canon Digital Rebel. I love it, but it's too bulky to take true candids with. I mainly use it outdoors with a Lowepro camera backpack to lug around. Using it indoors can be a pain because of the bulkiness, but the pictures are fantastic because of near-instant autofocus when I use a flash with the red focus assist light. However, you might as well paint a bullseye on your head screaming "CAMERA GUY".

10. John*K

John*K Stunt Coordinator

LOL

Well, I think it's the S50 or the G5 or the Elph S400!!! I have to go tonight and make a final decision!!!

11. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Hehe. I didn't get a battery grip for mine yet. Lord knows I could use some beefing up though..hmmm. [​IMG]

I love my Canon 28-135IS lens! It's not too heavy either. Uh, not that I can afford L glass though. [​IMG]

I have an Sigma EF500 DG clone...big flash!

Have fun John.