What's new

Digicam Advice (1 Viewer)

DaveMcS

Second Unit
I have an older digicam (that I purchased here on HTF coincidentally) Kodak DC290. Im thinking it might be time to take advantage of newer technology to hopefully reduce the dreaded "shutter lag". My wife finds this camera virually unusable due to the length of time it takes for the camera to actually "take" the picture and recycle to be ready for the next shot. (And we all know our gadgets have to pass the SAF TEST spousal approval factor!!)
I realize that lag is going to be inherent with ANY digicam but I'm looking for one that has minimized the effects of lag to get closer to an "analog" SLR camera. Anyone have a take on a "faster" camera that might pass muster?

I'm looking to keep it below 800.00..preferrably even 500.00 ish

I know I cant have SLR speeds on a digicam..not until the technology updates some more..but i love the ease of the Kodak and hate to part with it..but what good is a camera if I miss the shot b/c the camera takes to long to center/focus and snap the pic??

Im not adverse to any particular brand..so pls recommend away !!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Check out www.dpreview.com - they are great. I just bought a Nikon Coolpix 4500 because of the great reviews and a $200 rebate from Nikon, but it has longer than average shutter lag (longer than current competitive 4MP cameras but probably faster than your Kodak).

Since shutter lag is of importance to you I would steer you away from the 4500 (though I don't mind it because I love the swivel body, the ability to use Nikon's 2X and 3X telephoto lenses in addition to the already 4X optical zoom on the 4500, and a whole host of other features. DPreview has in-depth reviews of most current digicams and has stats on their average lag times, load times, photo tests, battery life...you name it they test it, it's pretty awesome.

Best of luck to you!

Cam S

Screenwriter
CANON G3, can't be beat for the money and is a great camera. I've had mine since December, and have already taken over 3000 pics. The S45/S50 are also great camera's, and I would highly recommend those as well. Shutter lag isn't much of a problem with the newer high end camera's. As long as you are pre focused on the subject, then you shouldn't have a problem getting the picture at the right time.

DaveMcS

Second Unit
I was given all three of those choices by a friend who is a photographer by trade. Due to an unnatural preference to the Canon's (my first SLR was and still is a Canon AE-1P)
I leaned toward two Canon models...the G3 and the S45. Both have excellent reviews on EVERY site I trolled and each has qualities I seek...

The G3 is the better of the two..but is quite a bit larger..too large perhaps? I want a camera I'll carry along and not leave on the shelf b/c its too big.

The S45 is a bit more compact..but lacks some of the tweaks and doodads found on the "pro-sumer" G3. Plus its a few hundred cheaper!!

So I guess I have to go to a local chain and manhandle them both in order to make a decision !!

thanks for the recommendations guys !! Much appreciated

David

Cam S

Screenwriter
Dave, I think the S45 would be perfect for you. It trul is a wonderful camera, and the picture quality is just as good as the G3, I had the S30 for a while and loved it as well, nice and small too.

Shane Bos

Second Unit
For me the 2 biggest features that the G3 has that the s45 doesn't are the swivel screen, and an easily accesible CF slot. The swivel screen is very important to me particularly when shooting from a tripod. I despise the way Canon has put the CF slot on the bottom of some of their smaller cameras. I understand why but it is a huge hassel to change cards if you have a tripod base on the camera. You have to take the base off just to pull the card out. 1 other point about going to a Canon camera is you can use the CF card(s) from your old Kodak in it, new Kodak's use SD instead.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Dave, read the reviews and specs carefully! Some consider "shutter lag" to be the time from focus to snapping the shot, but it sounds like your wife hates the complete lag time, from pressing the button, to focusing, to shooting. That will still take a while, though nowhere near what you're used to on your old Kodak. Just wanted to warn you because according to many review sites, some Canons have less than 1/4 second of "shutter lag" but that assumes already having focused on the subject. There will be a focus time that you'll have to add in there.

Yes there is no SLR-speed snap-shooting in a digicam, just the nature of the beast, but they are getting better!

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I had a Nikon 4300 for about a week and took it back. It took AWESOME pictures, but it was just too SMALL for me.

I have pretty large hands, and it just never felt right in my hands. I took it back and bought a Sony DSC-F717.

It's pictures are just as good or better, and I do like the larger 5MP pictures.

I would recommend the Nikon 4300 as an excellent camera, and it even has some nice manual controls.

Shawn Sefranek

Second Unit
Dave,

I just upgraded from the Kodak DC-290 to the Canon G3 last week.
I did lots of research and the G3 got GREAT reviews from all the review sites including the ones posted above.
I bought it at www.beachcamera.com for 539 dollars.
They also have last years model, the G2, on clearance for 454.
The G2 has slightly fewer features then the G3.

I loved my Kodak and I’ve had it for the last 3+ years, but it was starting to show its age.
The biggest problem I had was the time it took to write the photos to the memory card.
If you had the resolution set high it could take as long as 1-2 MINUTES to “catch up” with the card.
You could quickly take six or seven shots in a row without a problem, but then that darn “Processing Photos” light would start blinking and it became a waiting game for the next shot.

The G3 is an awesome unit and it even has the ability to record movies in 320 x 240 resolution.
You can shoot in fully automatic or switch to manual override for most settings.
The 32-Meg memory card that comes with it is a joke. I ordered a 512-Meg card from AMAZON and it should be here tomorrow.

Shawn S

PS…
If you plan on selling the Kodak you’ll be pleased to find it holds a half decent value.
On EBAY the bare camera usually sells in the 175-200 range and can go for upwards of 300 with accessories.
I sold mine locally with two sets of Ni-MH batteries and a 128-Meg memory card for 325 dollars.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Right, Cam, that's what I meant. But that could be misleading to someone like Dave's wife, who seems to want to be able to just take a pic at a moment's notice, and that 0.1 second "shutter lag" may make her (and Dave) think that it's 0.1 seconds from when you depress the button. That's what I was cautioning him about. Even the best digicams take longer from a "resting" point (meaning no prefocusing, etc. just powered on but not aimed at the target) to take a picture because of the focusing (or prefocusing) time which still is not as fast as good SLRs.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I am strongly considering the Olympus C-740 Ultra Zoom. I am looking for a digital camera with a high powered optical zoom lense, and the Olympus seems to be the best value in this relatively nitch market. It is 3MP, has a 10x optical zoom, and has received good reviews.

Anyone out there with either this model, or its predecessor the C-730?

Shawn, how was your purchasing experience with www.beachcamera.com ? They have a decent price on this Olympus model as well.

Shawn Sefranek

Second Unit
Shawn, how was your purchasing experience with www.beachcamera.com ? They have a decent price on this Olympus model as well.
No problem yet, but this is the first time I’ve dealt with them.
I was recommended by someone else who has purchased several cameras there in the past.
They honor the factory warranties and I didn’t see anything on the Cannon website saying otherwise.

Their retail store is like an hour from me across the border in New Jersey.
I was going to order via the Internet, but figured I would just take a drive instead.
They wanted 25 to ship the camera and NJ tax ended up costing me 32 so it was a wash either way.
I called ahead to make sure it was in stock and went to pick it up.
The store looks fine and it seems like it’s been there for quite a while.

That’s about all I know.

Shawn S

DaveMcS

Second Unit
After a day of trolling dpreview.com Steve's Digicam, Imaging Resource and the Digital Camera Resource I have opted for the excellent quality and portability of the S45. Just in time too since the Mrs. was cursing the
DC290 again last night.

I see a local guy has one on eBay for 400,00 (about 100.00 off retail price) so I think I give it a go...see what happens. If we don't like it..I'll just hafta pony up the extra bucks (sigh :) ) for a G3....:D

thanks to all for your advice ! Very helpful !!
Here's to the helpful folks on HTF !!

Cam S

Screenwriter
Dave, enjoy the S45 when you get it, you will love it! Great camera for learning on and will take some incredible pics, as long as you point it at great subjects, like your wife for some brownie points :D

Shawn Sefranek

Second Unit
I was considering the S50 or S45, but after using the DC-290 they were all too small.
I know that sounds silly, but I have large hands and I like something that I get a good “feel” for.

Dave, you might want to check out your local retail store before you decide on the S45.
Get one in your hands and see if you like it.

Shawn S

Matt Gordon

Supporting Actor
Honestly, when I first saw this topic, I thought for a second that I read about I guy asking for advice about a "diaphragm." :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks