What's new

DigiBooks? (1 Viewer)

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb
I've never bought a Blu that had one of these. What's in them? Is it just still photos, behind the scenes information, or what? More to the point, is it worth the extra $?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
The digibook packaging is exactly that--it is a BD digipack glued into the back of a book that may contain behind the scenes info, be a reproduction of the original souvenir programme, etc. I have two of these: The Matrix and How the West Was Won. I personally like them, but it's all a matter of taste. I've never had to pay extra for one; in fact, they were both on sale.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I want to know what is the meaning of "digi" with that type of packaging?

why is it "digi"

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I have "Batman", and every time I see movies (like 'The Matrix') in stores available in a digibook or a regular case, the digibook is always more expensive. Guess it depends on the store.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Does that wiki say why "digi"? I'm guessing that's short for digital, nothing digital about a package.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Well, like many trademarked names of products, catchiness wins out over logic.

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb

Originally Posted by Nicholas Martin

I have "Batman", and every time I see movies (like 'The Matrix') in stores available in a digibook or a regular case, the digibook is always more expensive. Guess it depends on the store.

What's in the book that came with Batman?

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I love the few digibooks I have so far. Rather, I love the concept itself -- because it begins to make up for the woeful lack of decent packaging with informative material that we've enjoyed for so long with deluxe editions of LDs and DVDs, and mostly miss with BDs.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I was in my teens when Laserdisc was at its peak and never got a chance to own any but I remember browsing at a shop that carried them and I always thought that the artwork on the LD packaging was always very striking and made them really stand out. With DVD (and now Blu-ray) the studios chose to forego the art of providing unique packaging (for the most part) in favor of bland boxes and generic artwork. With Digibook some of that old laserdisc luster has resurfaced and I, for one, love them. I also appreciate Criterion's slightly larger and clear white BD packaging.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
I have six of these packagings so far, and like them for the previously mentioned reasons pertaining to the lack of decent packaging common to BD's...even less than was the case with DVD's.

There are a couple of changes I'd like to see, though:

(1) Have the booklet loose, tucked into a sleeve as opposed to glued-in, which is harder to enjoy, given the small format of the package. I'll put up with avoiding misplacement, in return for more freedom of viewing and reading.

(2) I haven't given a replacement design any real thought, but it would be nice to have a means of securing the disc, that doesn't involve a breakable plastic hub. If the hub breaks, your digi-book loses most of its appeal. I'm not crazy about a friction fit sleeve, but surely something better than a hub could be incorporated into the d-b's; after all, if they're going to charge more for it, they may as well spend an extra 15¢.

As it stands, I don't seek out digi-books, it just works out that way for a particular title I want, without waiting months for non-digi-book. If the above issues were solved, I'd probably actively seek the better packaging, even pay a bit more for it. They might not seem like big issues, but it's the little things that often make an impression.

I feel the same way about CD or SACD packaging; there we have horrid jewel boxes, and the only slightly better digi-pak. We've seldom again reached the glory days of album cover art.

With purchasers of physical media being a peculiar lot, who are drawn toward owning "the thing", it seems a prime opportunity for studios to offer something worth seeking...and perhaps turn a little extra profit in the process. True, it's not an approach for every consumer...but it doesn't need to be. The current target audience for the digi-book should be enough.

Thornhill

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tony
I was actually just thinking about this topic, because apparently Wal-Mart, will have a non-digibook version of Seven available as a store exclusive. I was wondering if I want to get the digibook or the regular version. Haven't made up my mind, I need to find out the price difference.

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb
Originally Posted by Thornhill

I was actually just thinking about this topic, because apparently Wal-Mart, will have a non-digibook version of Seven available as a store exclusive. I was wondering if I want to get the digibook or the regular version. Haven't made up my mind, I need to find out the price difference.

That's actually what prompted me to start the topic. The Se7en without the DigiBook is $20, and I couldn't find the regular release for cheaper than $24.99. I just bought the one at Wal-Mart.

Thornhill

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tony
So $5 extra for the book, I'll probably just get the regular version as well. As some have stated here, I'm also not a big fan of the disc holder inside the book. If it breaks you're in a bind for storing the disc. Plus, I'll probably only look at the book once. It's definitely nice to have, but not a necessity.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Speaking of the new Seven blu-ray, I really dug New Line's notebook packaging they came up with for the DVD. This new Digipak version is ugly - considering there are no new extras I don't think I can justify spending another twenty bucks minimum just to get a hi-def version of the film.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Since we're on the topic, I posted this is the Round-Up on Sunday: Best Buy has a bunch of Digi-books for $19.99 through October 2 in store. I know 300, Matrix and Falling Down for sure, but they had a whole endcap. Batman has been on sale (digi-book, IIRC) for a long while now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks