What's new

Dig. Bits has Pearl Harbor: Vista Series review up... (1 Viewer)

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Dan, everyone has a right to their opinion and to like whatever film they want to regardless of what other people think, I realize that. It's just that the thought of someone liking PH more than FOTR makes my brain unable to function because I have such strong feelings about both movies.

Kurt N

Stunt Coordinator
Great review. I have the original, but I'll have to have this too. Now through November is gonna be sooooo expensive.

Greg O' Connel

Stunt Coordinator
I loved Pearl Harbor. I remember sitting in utter suspense wondering if Ben Affleck's character would live or not after his plane crash, and also being completely surprised by the love triangle with his girlfriend and best friend, who thought he was dead.

Seriously, I don't think I can remember seeing a more cliched, crap storyline in any film, past or present. It was daytime television quality. Pearl Harbor could have been an enjoyable popcorn flick, but Micheal Bay had to go on an ego trip and believe that he had the ability to make an epic film.

Mark E J

Second Unit
I have 2 more questions for Jeff or anyone with the DC.

1 Does the new cut remove the blury shots in the hospitial?

2 I heard from someone who supposedly got his copy early from a B&M that they cut out or atleast shortened some of the romance between Evelyn and Danny. Can you confirm this?

I can remember David Prior stateing here that one of the ideas behind the DC was to stear the film away from the romance but there was only so much they could do with the script and footage they had. He also confirmed at least three things were cut from the film but could not comment on what they were. Can anyone who has now seen the DC comment on what was cut?

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
I read some of Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring, and the movie sucked compared to the novel. Plus, In my opinion, Peter Jackson sucks even more
Kevin,
How much is the "some" of FOTR that you read? You must have really hated the film if you only read "some" of the book. Seems like your only reason to post in this thread was to bash Peter Jackson and LOTR. I do not believe this thread was intended to compare the 2 films. That being said, I thought PH was pretty good and i will be looking forward to this director's cut.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Is this disc not EX encoded? I remember the original was the first disc with the proper flags for EX decoding on it. So is this disc no longer EX, or secretly ES matrix

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
I've heard plenty of bad things about PEARL HARBOUR (and be honest, with the reviews the film generally received in print and on the web, who hasn't?) but the new multi-disc set looks like a good purchase for fans of the movie, and a decent rental for those inclined to just dive through the extras.

The LOTR box set will be more my cup of tea because I'm more interested in learning about Peter Jackson's filmmaking experiences than I am about Michael Bay's, and I enjoyed the movie. That said, dare we hope for more DVD releases next year on the same scale (and with the same type of deluxe packaging) as these two? If the movies are of interest, this could be a very welcome trend.

Sutjahjo Ngaserin

Stunt Coordinator
Digital Eyes listed 2 different Pearl Harbor DVDs at the same price due to street on 2nd. July 2002...

Anyone has idea what is the difference between the 2?

================================================== =========
Pearl Harbor (Vista 3-Disc Set) $39.98 $27.99 07/02/02

Pearl Harbor: The Director's Cut (Special Edition/ 2001) $39.99 $27.99 07/02/02
================================================== =========

Kevin Linke

Agent
Dalton,
I was not bashing Lord of the Rings or Peter Jackson, I just thought that The Fellowship of the Ring wasn't that much of a great film. I thought of the movie as an action flick that should never have been up for Best Picture at the Academy Awards. Those spots should have been saved for pictures such as Black Hawk Down or Even Pearl Harbor. And I feel as though Peter Jackson is still a pretty good director, but he just doesn't make my type of movies. I felt that Lord of the Rings was pretty good, but they should have kept more with the novel and made a four and a half hour cut in the first place. I used pretty bad words, "sucks", and I am sorry, I don't think that harsh about the movie or the director, but still feel they are both overrated. It is still on my top ten list of 2001, but only because there weren't that many good films last year.
And about the novel, I'm about three quarters of the way done (and still reading it), and Jackson left a TON out.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
And about the novel, I'm about three quarters of the way done (and still reading it), and Jackson left a TON out.
Of course he did. As do all adaptations of 400 page novels. The point of an adaptation is to capture the spirit of the novel, not to replicate every scene. LoTR achieved this.

I'm somewhat bemused as to why you even sought to compare these two movies. They are utterly different in every way. Sure, they both have 4 DVD sets coming out, but that's hardly a basis to slam one over the other.

Kevin Linke

Agent
I tried to reply better, but my computer froze and screwed up, so I will just reply quickly. In my opinion, all Lord of the Rings was, was an action "flick", nothing more nothing less, while Pearl Harbor and Black Hawk Down were well made dramas.

Everyone on these boards deserve their own opinions, and I respect that, but I can have mine as well.

So with that short reply lets get back to the topic at hand:

Let me say again, Jeff, great review.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter

Whew, thanks, I needed a good laugh. I tried really hard to stay out to this discussion, but after that last post I had to say someting.

The "action" in FOTR can be isolated to a few key scenes, while the main bulk of the movie was on the setup, journey, characters etc. Black Hawk down was well made, I agree, but it was 90% action, way more than Fellowship. Pearl Harbor I have *no* comment on.

That being said I feel that the better both DVD sets are and the more copies sold = better for us all. Hopefully it will mean more similar releases of that quality and we all benefit.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
In my opinion, all Lord of the Rings was, was an action "flick", nothing more nothing less, while Pearl Harbor and Black Hawk Down were well made dramas.
Lord of the Rings = action "flick"? Yeah, okay. :rolleyes
I'm not the biggest fan of Lord of the Rings (I thought it was a good movie, but highly overrated), but in no ways is it an action flick. As stated before by Matt, it set up characters and the journey and there were just a few key action scenes. I would never classify it as an action flick.
Pearl Harbor = well made drama? If the film was an hour shorter and actually was focused on Pearl Harbor, it could've been a well made drama. But with Michael Bay and Randall Wallace (both who couldn't make a well made drama if their lives depended on it) on board, that wasn't going to happen. Pearl Harbor had a great Act II, but Act I (especially Act I) and Act III lacked big time.
Black Hawk Down, which I just watched, was decent and I don't have much to say about that.

Kevin Linke

Agent
Whatever you want to think about Pearl Harbor are your mistakes, maybe stupid ones, but you can have those thoughts.
BUT LORD OF THE RINGS SUCKED COMPAIRED TO BLACK HAWK DOWN.
Whoever thinks LOTR was the best movie ever made should see a heck of a lot more films. LOTR is a pure action movie and you Matt BLACK HAWK DOWN is a pure drama. If you don't think this than you should rethink your opinions many times until you get it right. :)
GET IT RIGHT NEXT TIME!!!!! :)

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
The Frightners said:
I don't know. See, my mother likes a lot of shitty movies, and she thought Pearl Harbor was total crap other than Act II. It's one out of the only three times I can agree with her opinion (the other two times being The Others and Insomnia). And it's sad, cause Pearl Harbor could've been such a great movie if done right.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Kevin,
Tone it down.
All,
Disney goofed on shipping me out an early
copy of Pearl Harbor for review, so mine
will be one of the last posted.
I should have it up Tuesday, as there are about
12 hours of added material to go through here.
Lots of screenshots!
I can just tell you right now that it is the
BEST reference disc I have seen. As for the movie?
Well, that's another story altogether.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Does no-one else watch Pearl Harbor as a very funny pastiche of wartime romance films? As a straight drama, it's appaling, but Michael Bay and Jerry Bruckheimer are far too intelligent to not have realised how silly it is, not to mention Ben Affleck (I can't wait to hear his commentary track!).

And let's not forget the two outstanding Dr. Strangelove references, either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks