What's new

Difusing sound in rear wall in an apartment? (1 Viewer)

Hello everybody.

One of the main problems I have living in an apartment is that too much noise may be going into my neighbors apartment. The only part that connects to my neighbors is the rear wall. Even though the neighbors have not said anything, I am still concerned that they are being bothered by all the noise.

The only way i could think of difusing the sound from getting into my neighbors apartment is by covering the rear wall with acoustic wall panels from Parts Express.

The only problem with this is that the rear wall must be reflective and by covering the whole wall with acoustic wall panels i may make the room sound awful.

The room isn't that big because everything is located in my bedroom which is only 10X10X8. Putting the system in the living room isn't an option because it will disturb my mom.

So my question is, do you think i should cover the rear wall with acoustic wall panels, which are only $12.90 a 24" x 24" and is 2" thick a sheet, or just leave the wall as it is.

If you have different suggestions, like cheaper material that i could use or any other suggestions,, it would be gladly be taken into consideration

Jason Wolters

Stunt Coordinator
If this wall is also the rear of your HT room, than most likely I would do nothing. Remember that most of the higher frequencies will not travel well through the wall. It is the bass frequencies that will be the biggest factors. If this is the rear of your HT room that only the surrounds should be located there. These channels will be the least active so that is a plus. I guess a lot depends on how well insulated the wall is. If it is an uninsulated sheetrock wall than adding some material on the wall could be of benefit, but it is hard to say for sure. Just know that the thuds are likely going to be the offensive parts to neighbors.

DanC

Stunt Coordinator
I had the same problem when I use to live in an apartment. I wasn't sure if it was really bothering my neighbors or not so I just went over and asked them. They said that it wasn't bothering them at all so I didn't have to worry about making any acoustical changes to my apartment. I would start off by asking the neighbors before I got into any major changes. Beleive it or not, some apartments hold sound in better than you would think.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
I would start off by asking the neighbors before I got into any major changes.
heck...don't even ask them! that may just open up the door they need to start going off... :D
seriously though...i wouldn't worry unless you think the neighbors really are being bothered.
i have a downstairs neighbor who complained once (albeit quite nicely) to my apartment managers. i left him a note on his door that said if it ever gets out of control, just let me know. i'd be more than happy to turn it down.
i think turning the volume down once in a while is better than redecorating your wall...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks