Diffusion project

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GaryFoster, Mar 13, 2002.

1. GaryFoster

GaryFoster Auditioning

Hi all,
    Assuming this forum isn't limited to sub construction, has anybody built/bought any diffusers for their theater? I'm impressed by Everest's book "The Master Handbook of Acoustics" and am going to make an effort to improve the acoustics of my theater. At the bottom my web site, I show a diffuser panel I'm making for a large flat space in the rear of the room. Not at all scientific, but I figure almost anything is better than nothing. Has anybody has any experience with RPG's Flutterfree molding? It would be pretty easy to make. How about other diffusion products of DIY projects?
    Gary Foster
    SLOW loading website:
    http://www.pointsourceconsulting.com/theater.htm

2. James Slade

James Slade Second Unit

That looks like a great project. I know very little about room treatments, but man does it look nice. Are you going to place these pieces in specific places?

3. GaryFoster

GaryFoster Auditioning

With the idea to break up reflections as much as possible, I'm placing diffusers as to prevent having flat parallel wall surfaces facing each other. I'm thinking the largest should go behind the couch since that's the first "dead on" reflective area seen by the speakers and I can't put much on the display wall. I really want to restructure the ceiling as well, but dread the mess that would make. If only I had thought about that BEFORE painting, placing the equipment, carpet, etc.[​IMG]