Diff'Rent Strokes - Safe to Buy?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by WillG, Sep 18, 2004.

1. WillG

WillG Producer

I was thinking about picking up the 1st season of Diff'Rent Strokes today, but since Columbia has put it out, I have to be cautious. Can anyone confirm if these episodes are the uncut broadcast versions? I have not seen any reviews anywhere.

2. Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson Screenwriter

Jeffrey Nelson
    Check the sticky thread on this very forum about TV shows on DVD that have been altered. Unfortunately, you'll find an entry on Diff'rent Strokes.

3. Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green Supporting Actor

I bought this at Tower Records store for $19.99. I'm very happy with the price, and I also like the extras: the commentary, the new interviews with the cast and crew, the little documentary on how it all began. I like the fact that Columbia/Sony switched to slim line cases. I'm not sure if and what was edited, but I'm happy anyway because I'm not a die-hard fan, so I don't know what's missing to begin with, but I'm not disappointed because I didn't spend a lot of cash on this. I enjoyed the shows with LaWanda Page and the Facts of Life pilot. Definately, try to get it cheap.

4. Chris:L

Chris:L Supporting Actor

It was my cousin's birthday today, and I thought about getting it for him.... I'm still thinking about getting it for him. I don't know.

5. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    From what I've heard, 18 episodes are uncut.

4 more are of the cut syndication versions (they were hour-long episodes originally, but are copyrighted as 2 episodes, so Columbia, who got the rights to the show in a buyout, must not be aware of this).

6. WillG

WillG Producer

Well I guess 4 out of 22 isn't too bad. It's bad, but it could be worse. And if the extras are decent I might have to get it nonetheless. Is it just one commentary, I thought the box said "Commentaries, but I could be wrong

7. Ray_Gootz

Ray_Gootz Stunt Coordinator

so yeah the 4 episode that are cut are preety weak. One is the 2-part Flashback episode which is like epiode 8 so they're only flashing back to 7 episodes and the other is the Hello Larry crossover and thank god that's cut becuse everytime McClean Stevenson and his family is onscreen it becomes PAINFUL to watch. What the hell was the point of that show anyway?

All the real episodes are uncut. What's even better is that we get the first apperance of the facts of life girls in the last episode. Pick it up.

8. Chris:L

Chris:L Supporting Actor

Hello Larry crossover? Okay, I know that McLean Stevenson left M*A*S*H... was he a bumbling idiot on Hello Larry as he was on M*A*S*H?

9. Ray_Gootz

Even worse. Larry seems to be on crack. You keep thinking that something is wrong with Larry and maybe he has a secret to tell Mr.D and then you realize THEY PURPOSEDLY WROTE HIM TO BE THAT DUMB AND CREEPY.

According to TV Tome the second season has two Hello Larry crossovers that were an hour long each. So those might be cut too. But who cares about Hello Larry? As long as they don't cut up the one where David Hassloff saves Arnold's life and we meet Sam in Season 6. The blonde daughter on Hello Larry is hot though.

10. Ray_Gootz

By the way does Columbia own the rights to facts of Life? Because with this set featuring the pilot and the next set featuring a few crossovers people, like me!, might really be intrested in watching some Facts of life after they watch this stuff. I wouldn't be opposed to buying season 1 in January. How about you guy?

11. Randy Gray

Randy Gray Stunt Coordinator

I actually liked Facts Of Life better than Different Strokes but since there's an appearance by them on this set i may have to pick it up. I'd buy every season of FOL. DS I'm not sure.

Randy

12. Rob P S

Rob P S Screenwriter

rob

Hello, Larry is correctly regarded as one of the worst shows of all time - and it premiered only three months after Mclean flopped playing a priest on In the Beginning on CBS. NBC had no hit comedies at the time, and since DS and HL were produced by the same company, they made Larry and Mr. Drummond former Army buddies in order to make people think it was a spinoff. Another reason why Mrs. Garrett was given a spinoff less than a year after DS premiered.

Frankly, I think M*A*S*H improved after the annoying Col. Blake was replaced by Col. Potter, but that's another thread.