Difficulty of mounting and setup?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Richard Mass, Jul 31, 2003.

1. Richard Mass

Richard Mass Agent

How hard is it to install a ceiling-mounted dlp front projector yourself? How much is reasonable to pay to have a professional installation and setup of a $8000 projector and a $2000 fixed screen?

2. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    What PJ do you have? What size/type of screen? What's your room like (dimension's)? Easy access to attic for cables and wires? Does electrical need to be run for the PJ?

More info is always better[​IMG]

Peace Out~[​IMG]

3. Richard Mass

Richard Mass Agent

No projector as of yet. 100" HDTV Stewart Deluxe Screen
    Room is 11'3" by 20'6". I am having all cables and electrical taken care of when the room is built. (Part of new home construction.)

4. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Just be sure you have your PJ in hand before the cables and electrical is installed. Throw distances vary quite a bit between PJ manufactures, thus determining the location of your PJ and the location of cables and electrical.

Peace Out~[​IMG]

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Also, try to mount the projector further back rather than closer to the front wall, then use the zoom function of the projector to zoom the image to fir the screen to help reduce hotspotting and improve more even brightness across the screen.

6. Richard Mass

Richard Mass Agent

I am planning on mounting the projector lense approximately 13.5 feet from the screen and have the cables come in at around 15' from the screen. Based on my research on WXGA DLP Projectors, this will work with most if not all when using a 100" screen.

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Also, try to reinforce the ceiling around that area. Personally, I used 2x6's. My house is newly built so I had the luxury of seeing exactly how they built the house and the HT room. They used various beams but in order to give myself the added flexibility of moving the mounting location back or forth a foot, I really needed to have the extra reinforcement so that I would always be securing the mount to solid wood and not just drywall. This is really something that you could do aolong with some help if you wish to go that route. Anyway, what I did was cut some 2x6's and use L-brackets to secure them between the beams.

Regarding the placement of 15' for the cabling, this should work well because you will have a situation something like this...
    [​IMG]
    ... with the cabling looping towards the projector. The 13.5' mounting distance will place you in the ballpark but before actually placing the mount, you will want to check it first against the screen for proper throw to be on the safe side.

8. Richard Mass

Richard Mass Agent

Thanks. I already have plans to secure a 2" x 12" in between ceiling joists to make sure that I can mount to wood as you suggested.

You must have a high ceiling your mount appears to be 2'+?

9. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    [​IMG]

My ceiling clocks in at 12' in height which presented some serious challanges.

Have you decided what you are going to do? Do you think this is something that you can do yourself and how finished is the room right now? Is the cabling and power run? If you are going to run the cabling yourself, then I would seriously consider running them via a conduit (2" PVC is what I used). The only thing I did not do was run the electrical to the ceiling because the home builder simply would not allow me to but all speaker wiring and everything else I wa allowed to do.

10. Richard Mass

Richard Mass Agent

The house is just framed with the room on at present.
    The cabling and electrical will all be handled by the sub contractors of the home builder I am using. I am having them pull S-video and Component Video from the equipment to the projector location. Should I add DVI or anything else? I am considering purchasing a Samsung HD931, but I need a 25' run or cable. I am trying to decide whether to mount and setup the projector and screen myself or pay a professional.

11. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Do it yourself. There is plenty of expertise here that can give you sound tips on exactly how to proceed with things. You will need help when it comes time to mount the screen and projector but nothing a friend or two can't handle.