What's new

Difficulty of finding a receiver with the right combination of ins (1 Viewer)

BrianNB

Auditioning
I was about to purchase the Sony STR-DE695, when I turned it around, at Best Buy, and noticed that it didn't have the right combination of ins per the labels for each device.

For example, I have an XBox, which I want to hook up via optical audio, component video, and I'd like to do it via the "DVD" labeled component.

Then I have a Tivo, which I would hook up via composite audio, and S-video.

Then I have a VCR which would be all composite.

But with that Sony receiver, my Tivo would have to be DVD and my Xbox would VCR, and that would be very confusing.

Do all you more experience home theatere folks have any words of wisdom for dealing with this?

Do I have to go and look at the back of every receiver to find one that fits?

Brian

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
you might want to look at the thread at the head of the receiver forum titled HD video switching. might find some interesting solutions.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
Most recievers will let you select the input designation on it i.e. you can set the DVD in to actually say X-Box etc or make it so that if you select DVD it knows to use the optical input labeled CD instead of a coax input.

BrianNB

Auditioning
Thanks Chu Gai, but as I'm looking at a $299 receiver, spending an extra $150-$300 for a AV switcher is a bit much. Would prefer to be able to find a receiver that can handle what I need.

Brian

BrianNB

Auditioning
JeremyFR,

How do I determine if it has this ability? Nothing I've read in any of the descriptions imply this, and the sales people are Best Buy, are, shall we say, less than helpful.

Is there certain terminology I should look for?

Brian

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
Most newer recievers offer this type of feature its hard pressed really to find any that dont.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks