difficulity evaluating speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by MarcCh, Dec 20, 2005.

1. MarcCh

MarcCh Agent

I was wondering how one goes about evaluating new speakers when there is no place to listen to them around where I live. I am not real great at the suttle differences but what should I do. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Marc

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

You can only go by looks and reputation.

Just look at your wallet and decide what you could spend, then determine what music you really care about the most. I like Classic Rock, some classical, no rap or electronic. So, midrange (1) and bass (2) are most important to me.

Also I don't need anything to play really loud, so sensitivity isn't an issue.

I don't need rosewood.

I look for speakers that are known to image well. Most do, some are better than others.

Read, read, read, then just buy. Don't torture yourself.

Live with your decision, and keep your eyes open for the next best thing. Change or collect freely.

3. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

Order from someplace that will let you return them for any reason or no reason at all. They exist and in your situation it will be worth hunting them up. One such is Cambridge Sound Works.
    www.hifi.com

4. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

Also, go to the manufactures websites and and use the dealer locater search function. Don't know where you are, but there might be a few closer than you think.

5. Matt Rohr

Matt Rohr Agent

Almost any local home audio shop will let you take them home for a trial run. I did that with my home speakers I have now. They let me take home 2 different brands! I am glad I did, They sounded alot nicer in my home. But you should try to find someone local so you do not need to worry about shipping headaches.