DIFFERNCE 5.1, DTS, Dolby prologic

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jerry quintana, Nov 2, 2002.

1. jerry quintana

What is the diffrence between the three? My reciver is capable of all of them but I have only been able to use prologic. When I put the reciver on 5.1 the sound has to be turned up really high and the rear speakers dont work. I havent even been able to get the DTS to work. any help would be great. I am in colorado springs colorado. [​IMG]

2. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

jerry,
    pls do a little reading in the HTF Primer HERE normally accessed from the bug atop the Basic Forum.
    Two things: At some point (and pardon me if you're already there) you will want to calibrate and balance the 5.1 speakers using a Avia, Video Essentials or Sound&Vision Home Theater Tune-Up disk with a Radio Shack analog Sound Pressure Level meter. For Dts, for the most part, this is solved by making sure the DVD player set-up menu has Dts set to Bitstream or On, and on the DVD movie disk the Dts is selected in the disk "Language" or "Audio" section at start-up. If this is ok, setting the receiver's Input Mode to DVD AUTO will allow the rcvr to recognize and play the Dts, or DolbyDigital 5.1 track if you select that.
    bill

3. jerry quintana

Thanks bill I didnt even know that was there.

4. ChrisJJ

ChrisJJ Agent

Are you using the digital output of your DVD player into your receiver? It sounds like you are using the analog outs, which will only send ProLogic. The signal you are getting in 5.1 may be bleed from analog signal path.

Just a thought.

Chris