Different Vocal Tracks - 'Never'

Discussion in 'Music' started by PhilBoy, Oct 11, 2003.

1. PhilBoy

PhilBoy Second Unit

Does anyone know why the cd release vocal track for 'Never' on 'Heart' is different from the vinyl issue ?

2. Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot Supporting Actor

Joel Fontenot
    I depends on when you bought each version. The version that originally appeared on the first issue of the LP and several weeks later, the CD (first pressings for the US were UK made cd's) is not the same that appeared on later pressing of both, including the '95 MoFi Gold CD.

"Never" was the second 45 released from that LP, after the LP's initial release. The 45 was labled as "Never (remix)" and did in fact have a different vocal track for most of the song, and a little more emphasis on the guitar during the verse. The remix has more Ann Wilson wailing at the beginning of the song before regular background singing kicks in. Ann also sings a bit harsher in the first verse - "Hey Baby, I Talkin' to you..." almost spitting that word "talkin'". The original version has her singing that first verse more like the way the last verse is sung on the remix (which is just a repeat of the first verse lyric-wise).

That remixed version is what got played on the radio and made into a video - and it became the only version that got played ever since. That's because by the time "Nothin' At All" was released as a 45 - also as a remix and different vocal track, Capitol quietly slipped the remixed versions of both those songs into the LP and CD issues by the end of '85. From then on, if you bought the LP and CD after the releases of those songs, you got the remixed versions on that album. And that became the only versions you could ever find. That is until the Sony release of Essential Heart earlier this year. They finally pulled the original mixes back out and put them on that package.

Having bought the LP on the day of it's release, I was listening to the original mix of "Never" long before it was issued as a single. Because of that I never cared for the later remix at all. I'm just glad I bought the LP and the CD when I did, before they were changed. I have the MoFi too with the different versions, but still only listen to the original.

BTW, "If Looks Could Kill" is also slightly different - more echo-y on the later issues.

Joel

3. PhilBoy

PhilBoy Second Unit

WHOA, Joel...

Thanks !

I've been wondering about that for years. U da man.

4. PhilBoy

PhilBoy Second Unit

I prefer the original too...[​IMG]