Different versions of X Box?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Kyle M. Krueger, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Kyle M. Krueger

i was wondering if anyone could help me out.

I just bought the new GOTY Morrowind, and my console is freezing a lot.

While looking on the internet I read that the old Launch X box has a different slower Hard Drive. Is this true, and if so is there a way to tell if you bought the new hard drive. I would love to play morrowind without the freezes or dirty disc errors again.

Thanks for your help

Kyle

2. Adrian P

Adrian P Stunt Coordinator

I believe the newer XBOX's produced after 2003 have a different DVD ROM, not a new hard drive. I think you can locate the date it was built somewhere on the box the XBOX came in. Theses "refined" ROM's have less problems with freezing issues or the "the disc is dirty" issues.

But... I have also read Morrowind (both editions) are very buggy and have freezing problems - software issues not related to Microsoft...

3. James T

James T Screenwriter

There are two different Hard Drives. I just can't remember the names of either.

And there are also 3 differnt DVD-Rom drives

4. Scott L

Scott L Producer

On launch I remember vaguely if you got an Xbox made in Mexico it was 11g HD, in Hungary it was 10g. It didn't matter because they were both formatted for 10 gigs. I dunno how it is now. If it freezes a lot make sure the console is getting adequate cooling at you're not putting it in an enclosed space.

5. BrianB

BrianB Producer

6. Scott L

Scott L Producer

ok that's what I originally thought, just roudned to 10 because the official specs said it had a 10gig HD. thanks for the correction.

7. Damian James

Damian James Stunt Coordinator

Official FAQ on dirty disc problem

I've had Morrowind GOTY freeze with dirty disc error once, and just flat out freeze twice. How many years has this been out now and it still has these problems?

8. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    There was also a post here somewhere that had a picture of the DVD tray. That was the way to tell which of the 3 versions of the Xbox you had by looking at the tray when there isn't a game in it. I looked at mine and I have one of the oldest ones with the crappy drive and I have had problems in Morrowind and also EA's FIFA2003. Called MS tech support and three different people didn't want to acknowledge that there actually were three different versions of the xbox and that they were volunterily recalling some of the earlier Xboxes for free. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Jay

9. Kyle M. Krueger

I called Microsoft Tech, boy are they useless. Told themt he problems I was having with both ver of Morrowind and Kotor. He said it was the manufactures problem call them.

They told me that for $99 I could send my Xbox in and get it fixed so the problem would go away hopefully.

Thats when I decided to go buy a new one. A friend of mine bought my old xbox for 99 plus one old game. And I got a new one for 179 with two games and 2 months of Xbox live on it too.

Opened up the disc tray completly different than the old one. Morrowind now plays amazing smooth on this xbox. No more dirty disc errors or freezes.

10. Marshall W. Carter

Marshall W. Carter Stunt Coordinator

Sounds like you got a newer one with the Samsung drive (which supposedly reads CD-R's). Mine has the Thomson, which is the most notorious one, though apparently the Phillips drive is little better. Oddly enough though, I haven't had too many issues with mine (played through KOTOR and quite a bit of Morrowind too), so I guess it's the luck of the draw :-

11. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

So this whole dirty disc problem I am having is quite common?

damn.... but what happens if i return my x-box and get the exact same run of it? wont i still have the problems? or does this vary from actual system to system?

12. Kyle M. Krueger

The system that I had, was the launch version. Which is completly different from the new one,

How old is your system?

13. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Well I returned my xbox and got a new one, 2 xboxes in what 3 days [​IMG] im doing good.

14. Mike Camm

Mike Camm Agent

yeah.. the xbox is far better than the others..