What's new

Different Versions of Waterworld? (1 Viewer)

Kerry R

Grip
I was channel surfing last night and happened upon Waterworld on Encore. Please don't bash me but I happen to like Waterworld. The version that was on Encore last night is was different than the version that I have seen. I have the video. I only saw about a half hour of the movie last night but I saw some extra scenes that I have not seen before. One extra scene was a meeting of the people little water town the night before the Smoker attack.

Was this the version that was shown in theaters? Also is this version available on DVD?

Thanks

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Kerry
No bashing here. I happen to enjoy Waterworld and it is one of my guilty pleasures.:)
I did the same thing as you last night and wound up watching the entire 2 hour and 55 minute "Director's Take" version that was shown on Encore last night. It contained many extended scenes, sub plots that were dropped, etc...including an ironic ending explaining where "Dryland" was.
The video versions (DVD and VHS) have been the theatrical cut which runs about 2 hours and 15 minutes.
Here's the strange thing about the longer version. It was weirdly and inconsistently edited. For instance, some of the violence was toned down, and the nude scene removed, but some of the language was intact.."How's my eye look?...It looks like SHIT!" and other's not.."You're like a toilet, (turd in theaters), that won't flush!". Strange.
It was some kind of hybrid theatrical/TV edit kinda:confused:
Hopefully Universal will release a full directors cut with all scenes and language intact.:)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Hey I was just talking about WATERWORLD in the Hudson Hawk thread, yeah the long version was shown on the SF channel over here, as Tino mentioned it was Watered down (sorry), I'd love to see this long version on dvd, maybe someone should start a campaign to get it released as a special edition, with all the violence and nudity reinstated ofcourse.:)
And there was a surprise ending that is only in the long version...
The land they discover at the end of the film is actually Mount Everest sticking out of the ocean.:eek:

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Regarding the surprise ending on the long version: that's just ridiculous! I mean, even if the poles melted completely, would the water reach that height? If it did, wouldn't everyone be freezing and gasping for breath?

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Yeah it is a bit silly Steve, but this is Waterworld we're talking about, its a What If film, not a This Could Happen film, hey I like that ending, did the ending to A.I. make any kind of logical sense for that matter? ;)
Was just wondering...
How much water is there in the icecaps if they melted? Earth really is a waterworld if you think about it, 2 thirds of it is ocean, hey I'm enjoying writing in spoilers, I know people just can't resist peeking.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks