Different versions of "Halloween"?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Lehmkuhl, Oct 31, 2002.

1. Mark Lehmkuhl

Mark Lehmkuhl Stunt Coordinator

I wnat to pick up 'Halloween'. I've noticed there is a:

Halloween
    Halloween Extended Version
    Halloween Restored

Opnions: Which do you prefer?

2. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

Right now...

Halloween - THX Certified

Its the "Halloween Restored" that you have listed. The original theatrical version has been restored beautifully by Anchor Bay and the soundtrack has been wonderfully remastered in Dolby 5.1 & Dolby Surround and restored in mono by Chace Digital Studios.

The DVD includes an extended version of Halloween: Unmasked. This version adds video interviews with John Carpenter which were missing from the VHS version. You also get a promotional gallery with trailers, TV spots, and radio spots.

But...

Anchor Bay is planning Halloween: 25th Anniversary Edition for 2003. And considering AMC gathered together much of the original cast & crew for the recent AMC: Backstory...I have a strong feeling AB will get the license to include this documentary on the new disc. The new release will also feature a commentary that was not included on Halloween - THX Certified or Halloween - Extended Version.

3. Gregory Pauswinski

Gregory Pauswinski Supporting Actor

The Extended TV version adds a few forgettable scenes filmed to pad out the length of the film after it was censored for television, but you lose the extras and remixed sound. I'd recommend either getting the THX Certified "Restored" version or holding off for the new one.

Gregory