Different take on Tube TV vs. RPTV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JJR512, Oct 26, 2002.

1. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

I know there is at least one other active thread on a similar topic, but I feel my question is a bit different.

I'm currently saving up to buy a Sony KV-36XBR800. When I get enough money, I may see how I feel about holding out a bit longer to go for the KV-40XBR800. The current XBRs are probably some of the very best direct-view TVs you can currently buy. I like their picture quality, I like the way the picture quality maintains even if you're way off to the side, and I know they have a good feature set.

But I'm wondering if there are any RPTVs of larger size for about the same price ($2300 for the 36" or $3000 for the 40"), that compare very favorably with the XBRs in terms of picture quality and features. Don't get me wrong, I know there are plenty of RPTVs for

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

It's up to you, Justin.

The 36- and 40-inch WEGAs have a much better contrast ratio and much more light output than an RPTV, resulting in snappier images.

Whereas well-designed RPTVs with 7-inch CRTs afford greater resolution and come closer to offering true HD resolution. The downside to an RPTV is a relatively limited viewing angle, darker images (must be watched in a dark or near-dark environment), and a certain degree of higher maintenance (convergence, for one). Too, RPTVs are comparitively fragile.

However, even the 40-inch direct-view XBR cannot offer the "immersive" cinematic "feel" of a well-designed, good-sized RPTV.

It's all about compromise.

And in your case, you just might be better off opting for the direct-view WEGAs. They are fine sets.

3. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

I think even a mid-grade RPTV, well calibrated, looks superior to the XBR DV sets.

A 50-ish Panasonic plus $500 for an ISF calibration would be well under $3k. RP sets don't have a trinitron/shadowmask to deal with, for one, plus the larger image size. You will have problems will off-angle viewing, but not to the degree in the past. But you can higher resolution, and a much larger picture. And I think the overall picture quality (ignoring size) from a good viewing angle is superior on a RP set.

4. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Don't be afraid to consider a smaller RPTV. At about 8', my 42" looks right to me, and the bigger the screen, the more trouble you'll have with mediocre signals. But, as said above, don't expect the "snap" you get from a direct view set.

Jan

5. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

OK, so I looked at Crutchfield for RPTVs in the ~$3000 range (no higher), and saw the Sony KP-57WV600. Now I haven't paid much attention to RPTVs so far so I'm not very familiar with Sony's (or anyone else's) naming conventions, so I don't know where the WV series stands in comparison to other Sony RPTVs or to anyone else's. However, I see it's got adjustable DRC, just as the XBR direct-view TVs, so I guess that's a plus.
    So, is this model one you might recommend for an RPTV instead of the Sony XBR800 series? What other models should I take a serious look at, again keep price at $3000 or less?

6. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

7. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

One thing you will have to deal with if you go with DV is most likely geometry flaws that simply cannot be fixed. You may also have to deal with some convergence issues that are pretty much unfixable short of swapping out the TV.

RPTV's are capable of greater detail than DV's that you are looking at. They need it of course since the detail is spread out over more real estate.

Even at 8 feet, you can usually sit 4 to 6 comfortably in a room and for all to still get a good view of the image.

sure it probably couldn't accommodate 10 to 15 people, but who cares?

Best picture possible from the sweat spot.

Regards

8. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

Maybe the Pioneer Elite PRO-520HD? Is that pretty good? I've found a few places online selling it for under $3500, and might be willing to pay a bit more for an Elite, if it's worth it.