What's new

Different port lengths with lspcad and Unibox (1 Viewer)

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
I'm just a touch confused. I'm entering in the same numbers in both programs but they are giving me different port lengths!

283 liters

22Hz tuning

3ea 4" ports

Ql=15

Qa=100

Unibox says 47.91cm and lspcad says 33.7cm for each port length. Why such the large difference?? I tend to believe Lspcad more but I was wondering what you guys are coming up with.

Thanks

Kyle Richardson

Acoustic Visions

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
The new WinISD Pro alpha (pretty cool, actually) gives me 45.7cm. :) No way to input losses, stuffing, etc., though.

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
Well, its good to see I'm not crazy. Now I just need to find out which one is correct.

Kyle Richardson

Acoustic Visions

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Don't know about UniBox I'm too cheap to upgrade my Excel-97 to a newer version.... :)
But the most recent subs I've built using LspCAD have been dead on. The single 1503 modeled to a tuning of 18Hz, when we actually measured the sub the tuning was 18.4Hz

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
Assuming the vents aren't flared and using an early formula that's worked well for me over the decades, I get a vent length of 40.386cm, very close to Winspeakerz's 40.6cm.

Anyway, there's always some variance in the system and why you should always cut them a bit long and fine tune them if hitting a particular frequency spot on is desired. Even if not, tuning a bit low (longer vent) is a good idea for high power apps as the system Q goes up with VC heating and the lower tuning offsets it some if it wasn't factored into the design.

GM

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks