Directors Different Movies / Common Cast

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Henry Gale, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Or, fun with the IMDB

Killer Dill (1947) and Murder, My Sweet (1944) (which I'm watching this evening) have five actors in common.
    That seems like a LOT!
    Are there many films (that are NOT sequels) with that much shared cast?
    One of these five actors, Ernie Adams, has 397 movie credits. I don't think he ever went home.

2. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Yes, during the studio days. Lots of Bogart movies with the same group for WB. Lots with Powell, Loy and others for MGM. Etc, etc.

More recently you'd get a lot of overlap in Cassavetes movies, and certain other directors, but now it's more of a director thing, not a studio thing.

3. Haggai

Haggai Producer

The first pair that popped into my head, with a director's "repertory company" a la george's post, were Boogie Nights and Magnolia. IMDB's Common Search lists 17--that's right, 17--common actors. Many of them are bit parts that I don't recognize off the bat, but recognizable common actors include Julianne Moore, Philip Baker Hall, Philip Seymour Hoffman, William H Macy, John C Reilly, Melora Walters, Luis Guzman, Ricky Jay, Alfred Molina, and Thomas Jane. I didn't remember a few of them from Magnolia, which I only saw once and didn't like all that much, as opposed to Boogie Nights, which I love, and know very well. That's already TEN people right there!

Also lots of overlap in Wes Anderson's movies, though I think I just might have stumbled upon a record holder.

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Just to add a bit to Haggai & George, this was so common during that period that some directors relied on a group of actors that became known as their ‘stock company’.

Preston Sturges, for example used in most of his films: Eric Blore, Al Bridge, J. Farrell MacDonald, Torben Mayer, Charles Moore, Frank Moran, Franklin Pangborn, Victor Potel, Dewey Robinson and many more. In addition he often used Eugene Pallette and most especially and delightfully, William
    Demarest. Many of his films starred the same everyman, Joel McCrea.

Rainer Werner Fassbinder also had a stock company—many, many of his films have the same actors.

Ingmar Bergman also had a group of actors that he used over and over.

Both Fassbinder and Bergman also used many of their actors on the stage as well as in front of the camera.

The group of actors that starred in A Fish Called Wanda (John Cleese, Jamie Lee Curtis, Kevin Kline, Michael Palin) made a later film titled Fierce Creatures).

Of course the Pythons made films that had nothing to do with each other.

5. Bryan_O

Bryan_O Agent

Or more modern: The first team that popped into my head is the comedic team - Christopher Guest, Gene Levy, Michael McKean, Catherine O'hara et al. who did Spinal Tap, Waiting for Gufman, Best in Show, and most recent Mighty Wind.

6. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Can't remember the name of the movie the Cast of "A fish called Wanda" did but that would fit in this thread