What's new

Different Models of PS2? (1 Viewer)

Matt_ES

Agent
I'm seeing a PS2 going on Ebay every 3-5 minutes, it's incredible.

All different prices, game combos, extras, all the BS.

What I want to know is, were there various models of the basic unit itself over the years?

Upgrades? Processor speeds? Anything I should know before I bid? At around a C-note a unit, I want to take one.

Thanks!

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I think the 5000 models display a progressive signal for DVD play. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
There are a few Region 1 PS2 models out there:
  • SCPH-30001
  • SCPH-30001R
  • SCPH-35001
  • SCPH-39001
  • SCPH-50001
  • SCPH-50010
The newer SCPH-5xxxx series has a built-in infrared port for the DVD remote, supports DVD movie progressive scan playback, supports DVD-/+ R/RW media, and the i-Link (IEEE 1394) port has been removed.

The different model numbers denote variations with the circuit board layout, inclusion of software bundles and/or accessories as part of the overall package.

From SCEA:

Unlike PCs, consoles (generally) do not receive upgrades such as bumps in processor speeds or additional memory, though the hardware may be revised if a feature is under-utilized or not at all (such as the removal of the i-Link (Firewire) port), but components/accessories/features may be added later in a console's life cycle to ensure continued interest among consumers, as well as preserve market share (such as those listed above for the 5xxxx series).

If bidding on eBay (or any online auction site), look for auctions with photos and/or fuller descriptions of the product. Boxes with the '+' sign on the corners are the newer 5xxxx series; try to look for these firstly, though there's nothing wrong with the older 3xxxx models (as I've owned one since launch and it works perfectly).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks