Different Inputs questions..(basic)

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by MikeGee, Feb 12, 2005.

1. MikeGee

MikeGee Second Unit

just need some clarification here.. i was looking at the difference between the Yamaha HTR5740 and 5760.

http://www.yamaha.com/YECDealerMedia...r5760_back.jpg
    http://www.yamaha.com/YECDealerMedia...TR5740rear.jpg
    I just wanna know what everything is/does before purchase my receiver and attempt to hook it up.
    If anyone can help me figure out what all this actually does it'd be very helpful. If it helps... My speaker setup is
    AS-f2(fronts)
    As-b2(center)
    As-b2(rear surround)
    As-b2(surround)

1)Preout

2)Presence

3)Monitor out (this is just simply for putting all the signals that are going into my receiver to display on the tv right?)

4)Multi Channel Inputs

2. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    Preouts: This is where you can hook up a pre-amp, or anything powered, such as a powered center channel speaker. You'll also hook up your powered subwoofer here.

Presence: Not sure about this one. Never seen this before. It appears to be speaker hookups, but don't know how you'd use them.

Monitor Out: You are correct about this one.

Multi-Channel Inputs: You use these if you have a sacd, dvd-a or universal dvd player, for playing sacd or dvd-audio 5.1 Hi Resolution surround music (AWESOME sounding music). You can also use this mode for watching movies, if your dvd player has a processor (analog connection, instead of digital). Chances are, your receiver will have a better processor, for movies, so usually better to use digital connection (digital coax or optical) for the movies.

Hope this helped. Sorry I wasn't familiar with the "Presence" feature. Good luck!

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    1. Pre-outs are direct outputs for the various channels (i.e., bypassing the internal amplifiers) that allow you to connect outboard amplifiers. Ed is correct that these jacks could also be used for powered speakers, but typically people use them to add higher powered amplifiers.

2. The Presence connections are for optional front effects speakers, that Yamaha utilizes for their fabulous DSP effects. They really add a lot to the effect. Pretty amazing how this stuff has filtered down to the lowest levels – back when I got mine, the front effects (and the best DSP processing) was only available on the top-of-the-line flagships.

There may also be other uses for the Presence connections, such as for a second zone function. The manual will explain it all.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt