What's new

Different films, Same score (1 Viewer)

Seth--L

Screenwriter

Holst's "The Planets" has been endlessly used and reworked by Hollywood, particularly "Mars" and "Jupiter" ("Jupiter" in about every trailer for a feel-good movie).

Lately Williams has been recycling.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
The music played during the Quidditch match for Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets (when Harry and Draco are trying to catch the gold thing) sounds very similar if not the same to the chase through Coruscant sequence of Attack Of The Clones.
I noticed this too, Simon.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
From what I understand Wes Craven temp tracked Scream 2 with the Broken Arrow theme and loved it so much he kept it in the final. It was kind of jarring though....

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Not to mention that almost ALL of the old Universal monster movies like "The Wolfman", "Son of Frankenstein", most of the "Mummy" movies all had the same score.

Oliver Kopp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oliver
The Score of Gladiator and Pirates of the Caribbean sometimes sounds very similar.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Gladiator was done by Hans Zimmer, Pirates from some new guy Klaus something or other, but was overproduced by Hans Zimmer.

James Horner does have a knack for reusing his own material A LOT, but when he does something original for the most part, he is amazing. Braveheart, Glory(good god what a soundtrack!), Titanic(lots of reuse, yet good reuse), Mask of Zorro. Still one of my fav composers.

FredK

Second Unit
The Score of Gladiator and Pirates of the Caribbean sometimes sounds very similar.
The composers of POTC Klaus Badelt(sp?) worked with Zimmer on a few projects, and the similarities are front and center. I'd like to get my hands on Badelt's Equilibrium score... completely synthesized but still has much more range than POTC. IIRC POTC had a very short turnaround time though, so again the similarities are understandable.

edit: Sean posted same time.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
Parts of Jerry Goldsmith's scores for U.S. Marshals and Star Dreck: Insurrection sound identical. It didn't help matters that both movies came out in the same year.

I also remember Elliot Goldenthal reusing some of the music in Demolition Man for Crapman & Robin. Then again, the latter film didn't really deserve to have anything original composed for it.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
James Horner has a specific piece of music which he uses quite a bit. It's in the opening of Aliens and used again during the research scenes from his Jack Ryan scores
That piece is almost a carbon-copy of Khachaturian's Gayane Ballet Suite which can be heard in 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Adding to the James Horner list, the main theme of Glory was reused in the last scene of Braveheart with some added flourishes.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Similar yes, the same, NO. Both are by John Williams so it itsn't hard to hear the similarities.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks